Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any cool spots in Hong Kong? I realize it's fallen off a bit since 1999, but

Any cool spots in Hong Kong? I realize it's fallen off a bit since 1999, but

are there any English-speaking joints I might check out?

Heading out there June 11th, it'll be piss hot. I know this.

Quote Originally Posted by eastgermanautos View Post

The Madarin's trhe place to stay, accept no substitutes, they are all infoerior.

There's that roast goose restaurant on the island, can't remember what it's called... wait a minute.

Kam's. Check out the roast goose at Kam's.

I fly out June 3rd and fly back late night on June 8 - you're desperately unlucky to have missed me.

And I will be at the Mandarin Oriental which is quite exceptional.

English speaking joints in HK? No, none at all ega, you need to learn Cantonese and quickly. Unless you include every bar and restaurtant in Lan Kwai Fong, Soho and Wan Chai - they all speak English, of course. Even if you aren't into the horses, take a trip to the racetrack. Think it was about 5 quid to get in and is one of the most spectacular sights on the island. Quite the place.

Also, grab a cab to Wan Chai. As you walk the streets you will see shops with black out curtains in the front and 2-3 average looking Filipino girls out front who will grab you and try to drag you inside. By all means go with them, these places are at the cultural epicenter of HK and are completely trustworthy. In fact, I would just give the girls your wallet and they will charge you for whatever you partake of with the utmost honesty.

Enjoy!

Night racing at Happy Valley.

Let me know what day and I’ll load you up on tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    The Madarin's trhe place to stay, accept no substitutes, they are all infoerior.

There's that roast goose restaurant on the island, can't remember what it's called... wait a minute.

Kam's. Check out the roast goose at Kam's.
    Great!! Thanks dude. I will abide by your solid advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    Night racing at Happy Valley.

Let me know what day and I’ll load you up on tips.

That is what is up! Thanks man! I am determined to get to Happy Valley and even told my German coproducer about it.

Great!! Thanks dude. I will abide by your solid advice.
    If you can possibly do so, avoid any contact with the locals. They're rude. And they're constantly gobbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    If you can possibly do so, avoid any contact with the locals. They're rude. And they're constantly gobbing.
    I think this is always overlooked when people go on about the draconian restrictions on behaviour imposed in Singapore. Left to his own devices, your chinee will behave in the most disgusting fashion. It requires the threat of a beating to stop him expectorating. A flogging for flobbing, if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    I fly out June 3rd and fly back late night on June 8 - you're desperately unlucky to have missed me.

And I will be at the Mandarin Oriental which is quite exceptional.

English speaking joints in HK? No, none at all ega, you need to learn Cantonese and quickly. Unless you include every bar and restaurtant in Lan Kwai Fong, Soho and Wan Chai - they all speak English, of course. Even if you aren't into the horses, take a trip to the racetrack. Think it was about 5 quid to get in and is one of the most spectacular sights on the island. Quite the place.

Also, grab a cab to Wan Chai. As you walk the streets you will see shops with black out curtains in the front and 2-3 average looking Filipino girls out front who will grab you and try to drag you inside. By all means go with them, these places are at the cultural epicenter of HK and are completely trustworthy. In fact, I would just give the girls your wallet and they will charge you for whatever you partake of with the utmost honesty.

Enjoy!
    Great man. Sh!t, it does kind of suck that I'll miss you. Friendly round eye face and all that. I'm having meetings in Manila before that, then jumping over to Hong Kong. Hey, I got a ten year work visa. If things go south for me Stateside I can sell peanuts on a corner in one of them places.

I'm returning to your advice once I am on the ground. Definitely checking out that race track. It comes into a LeCarre novel, so am curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I think this is always overlooked when people go on about the draconian restrictions on behaviour imposed in Singapore. Left to his own devices, your chinee will behave in the most disgusting fashion. It requires the threat of a beating to stop him expectorating. A flogging for flobbing, if you will.
    Whilst one may encounter the occasional flob in Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia or Laos, there is no Chinee who loves a hawk and a phlegm like a Chinee Chinee, if you take my meaning.

Come to think of it, the good people of the sub-continent are also enthusiastic gobbers, but then they also enjoy a good shíte in the street, so I guess they're in a league of their own.

I haven't really spent much time amongst Johnny Ayrab, but my guess is that he isn't averse to clearing his tubes, either.