Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Visit Rwanda?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Well, given the enormity of the whole thing, and given that they speak of it as if it were a temporary madness which descended upon the population, you'd imagine they'd be pretty confident that they'd learnt their lesson adn wouldn't do it again. Germans don't live in a dictatorship designed specifically to stop them killing jews, do they? They sort of realised they had put up a black, as it were, and desisted.

They are the fittest people I have ever seen. The whole country is up above 7,000', it's all hills, there's no fúcking oxygen to breathe, it's 35 degrees in pissing rain pretty much all day and 5 degrees at night, and most of them are farmers, with absolutely no machinery - the rest of them walk everywhere carrying industrial loads on their heads.

It's a weird place. Nice gorillas, mind.
    Haven't the Tutsis forced the Hutus to speak English, play cricket and join the Commonwealth by way of revenge or am I getting mixed up with somewhere else?

But if the natives are Gooners, I'm all for it. Loads of Africans support us but they can't afford to buy a Prem club for the country like the Arabs or the Siamese, so this way they get their name on our shirt and the locals who do support us will feel extra pride when we win.

If it makes the poor Rwandan in the street (as opposed to the murderous dictator) happy then rather this than the usual betting shop or bankers. I like our African fans. The legacy of N****wo.

{Btw, have you ever been to Timbuktu? Vaguely thinking of going with a mate just cos we always liked the name.}

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Haven't the Tutsis forced the Hutus to speak English, play cricket and join the Commonwealth by way of revenge or am I getting mixed up with somewhere else?

But if the natives are Gooners, I'm all for it. Loads of Africans support us but they can't afford to buy a Prem club for the country like the Arabs or the Siamese, so this way they get their name on our shirt and the locals who do support us will feel extra pride when we win.

If it makes the poor Rwandan in the street (as opposed to the murderous dictator) happy then rather this than the usual betting shop or bankers. I like our African fans. The legacy of N****wo.

{Btw, have you ever been to Timbuktu? Vaguely thinking of going with a mate just cos we always liked the name.}
    Isn't Mali currently undergoing a bit of a civil war - there are probably better places to visit

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post

I'm not sure about speaking English and playing cricket but they've made laws governing, well, everything, just to create discipline. You can't smoke in public, all schoolchildren have to have their heads shaved, you can't sell second hand goods or food in the street (imagine an African town with no street trade!) Every shop or office has guards in quasi-military uniform and they all carry AK47s. The atmosphere is really quite odd. Lovely people, mind.

I haven't been to Timbuktu. That's bandit country up there. You might want to consider somewhere safer, like Damascus or Mordor.

Does Timbuktu have a Raffles or a Genocide Museum?

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Does Timbuktu have a Raffles or a Genocide Museum?
    There are tow excellent Raffles in Cambodia, should you wish to combine the two, one at Phnom Penh and one at Siem Reap. I remember the Phnom Penh one offering me an upgrade to a suite for $5 a night, which I accepted as I suspected that given the amount of shooting going on in streets as a minor civil war broke out, we might be spending some time indoors. In the event the army decided to stop shooting the demonstrators in the capital as it looked bad on the news, so we were able to get some great photos of demonstrating monks being beaten with bamboo rods as the tear gas landed around us. Good timez, w.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Isn't Mali currently undergoing a bit of a civil war - there are probably better places to visit
    Is it no longer safe? I just always loved the names Timbuktu and Kathmandu so need to do the former before I die.

Me and a mate thought about driving our truck across the Sahara to there when we were in Ceuta in Spanish N.Africa and at a loose end about 15 years ago. But our other mate wasn't up for it. He's dead now, so we wanted to take some mementoes out there for him.

It seemed fine back then - my theory was Mali had just hosted the ACN so there must be a big football stadium and hence some bars and food gaffs there. But if it's all gone Islamist now I guess I better leave it.

I'm not sure about speaking English and playing cricket but they've made laws governing, well, everything, just to create discipline. You can't smoke in public, all schoolchildren have to have their heads shaved, you can't sell second hand goods or food in the street (imagine an African town with no street trade!) Every shop or office has guards in quasi-military uniform and they all carry AK47s. The atmosphere is really quite odd. Lovely people, mind.

I haven't been to Timbuktu. That's bandit country up there. You might want to consider somewhere safer, like Damascus or Mordor.
    Right. So it really is a no-no.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwanda...et_Association

I heard that the Tutsis learned cricket and English in the refugee camps over the border and hate the Frogs for supporting the Hutus. Hence English, cricket and the Commonwealth.

I also read somewhere that the French were happy to let the genocide happen to stop Anglophones taking over but I don't know how true that is.

It's a scam. It's got to be a scam. Rwanda is a beautiful country with one real tourist attraction - gorilla trekking. Other wise you're looking at a genocide museum in an oppressive, corrupt dictatorship. There isn't even capacity to expand the number of gorilla visitors - you already have to apply for a permit months and months in advance. There's almost no tourist infrastructure. Getting to Kigali costs a fortune, prices within Rwanda are extraordinarily high by African standards, and the permits for gorilla treks are ablut $1,000 a day.

In short, advertising tourism in Rwanda is a complete waste of money, but advertising tourism in Rwanda to football fans is simple lunacy.

It's a scam.
    I am struggling to see them producing a positive ROI on their investment, unless of course there's a war in a neighboring country and they get a huge influx of refugees........