Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Never really got into Philip Roth, if I'm honest. I was indoctrinated against him

Never really got into Philip Roth, if I'm honest. I was indoctrinated against him

by my mother in law, who is a professor of feminist studies and Jewish, and who did not like Jewish misogyny such as is frequently, and ardently, expressed in Roth. Portnoy's Complaint being foremost. If one is speaking of Jewish writers who go on and on about the Jewish American experience, I'll take Bellow. Even Potok. Talking of Europeans, Walter Benjamin (if obliquely) and Gershom Scholem.

Quote Originally Posted by eastgermanautos View Post
    by my mother in law, who is a professor of feminist studies and Jewish, and who did not like Jewish misogyny such as is frequently, and ardently, expressed in Roth. Portnoy's Complaint being foremost. If one is speaking of Jewish writers who go on and on about the Jewish American experience, I'll take Bellow. Even Potok. Talking of Europeans, Walter Benjamin (if obliquely) and Gershom Scholem.
    I read 'The Breast' when I was about 8 and it put me off Roth for life. I tried to read 'Portnoy's Complaint' a couple of years ago but found it extremely jewish.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I read 'The Breast' when I was about 8 and it put me off Roth for life. I tried to read 'Portnoy's Complaint' a couple of years ago but found it extremely jewish.
    I had no idea you had joined Jeremy's Labour Party, Sir C. Have you replace Ken?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I had no idea you had joined Jeremy's Labour Party, Sir C. Have you replace Ken?
    Not at all, la. As you know, I'm generally well down with the jews. But you can have too much of a good thing. Portnopy's Complaint was like reading Woody Allen, it goit irritating. "Alright mate I KNOW YOU'RE JEWISH STOP GOING ON ABOUT IT!"

Not at all, la. As you know, I'm generally well down with the jews. But you can have too much of a good thing. Portnopy's Complaint was like reading Woody Allen, it goit irritating. "Alright mate I KNOW YOU'RE JEWISH STOP GOING ON ABOUT IT!"
    I do know what you mean. Whatever you do avoid Jonathan Safran Foer novels if you haven't already been subjected

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I do know what you mean. Whatever you do avoid Jonathan Safran Foer novels if you haven't already been subjected
    I'll give 'em the swerve, la.

It must be difficult for the German authorities these days, what with Kindles and so on. I wouldn't be surprised if they just gave up and removed the ban on books by jewish authors some time.

I'll give 'em the swerve, la.

It must be difficult for the German authorities these days, what with Kindles and so on. I wouldn't be surprised if they just gave up and removed the ban on books by jewish authors some time.
    As long as Karl Marx is safe everything should be fine