Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I know public information films of the 70s and 80s are a standard comedy trope, but

IUFG "I bought this a few years ago. A nostalgic watch"

Good to see that even back then were couple of warnings to steer clear of Jimmy Saville
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yeah. At no point did it occur to them to suggest to manufacturers that perhaps they could introduce a mechanism whereby someone stuck in an abandon fridge could get out, of course. Or, indeed, tell local authorities not to leave old fridges lying about.

Naaah, fvck it. Let's just terrify the kids instead.

It's rabies I remember. I was terrified of rabies as a kid and entirely certain that every foreign dog or cat was riddled with it.

You don't hear much about it these days, do you?

“Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Is that Sir Jingle Jangle top right telling us to do our seatbelts up so we couldn't escape from his Rolls-Royce?
    Yep. Also Rolf. In a swimming pool. With kids
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    HomosForLife, more like. Where I grew up, all that sort of thing was just known as "going out to play"
    Well yes, of course. And splendid fun it was, too. Lots of potential for nasty death/life-changing injury, of course, but even so.

Yeah. At no point did it occur to them to suggest to manufacturers that perhaps they could introduce a mechanism whereby someone stuck in an abandon fridge could get out, of course. Or, indeed, tell local authorities not to leave old fridges lying about.

Naaah, fvck it. Let's just terrify the kids instead.

It's rabies I remember. I was terrified of rabies as a kid and entirely certain that every foreign dog or cat was riddled with it.

You don't hear much about it these days, do you?
    I was scared of rabies too - there was a B movie on the telly with a rabies theme that freaked me out.

Of course when, a couple of years ago, I petted a stray cat in Zanzibar and it scratched me, I should have gone for a course of rabies shots, but my memories from the film were that such injections went into the stomach and were terrifically painful, so I bottled it, preferring to die, hydrophobic and foaming at the mouth.

IUFG "I bought this a few years ago. A nostalgic watch"

6-Down appears to show our new Manager under the wheels of a car
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

fvcking hell! I'd forgotten how grim some of them were. It's no wonder we grew up too scared to let our kids go outside. The government spent a decade or so scaring the sh1t out of us.

https://twitter.com/ScarredForLife2/...55482125570050
    How does this tally with the theory that the kids of yesteryear weren't indulged and mollycoddled like today's youth?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I was scared of rabies too - there was a B movie on the telly with a rabies theme that freaked me out.

Of course when, a couple of years ago, I petted a stray cat in Zanzibar and it scratched me, I should have gone for a course of rabies shots, but my memories from the film were that such injections went into the stomach and were terrifically painful, so I bottled it, preferring to die, hydrophobic and foaming at the mouth.
    That’s right. Huge needles straight into the solar plexus, wasn’t it? And you had to get them straight away. If symptoms had started to develop, you were royally fùcked.

I don’t blame you. I remember a programme where some bloke got it off of a fox and then gave it to his girlfriend with a love bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    How does this tally with the theory that the kids of yesteryear weren't indulged and mollycoddled like today's youth?
    It illustrates the point. The reason those films were required was that we were out there, playing in electricity substations and farmyards. It was fúcking carnage.

That’s right. Huge needles straight into the solar plexus, wasn’t it? And you had to get them straight away. If symptoms had started to develop, you were royally fùcked.

I don’t blame you. I remember a programme where some bloke got it off of a fox and then gave it to his girlfriend with a love bite.
    :shudder: Yes, fúck all that. Tie me to a bed and let me die shrieking.