Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: I know public information films of the 70s and 80s are a standard comedy trope, but

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Right. Parents deliberately stopped doing any actual parenting a long time ago, allowing the government to step into that breach. A mutually beneficial arrangement. Or a Catch-22, depending on your view.
    It's funny, my missus was complaining that the self-appointed functionaries who communicate between a school and its parents are always called Class Mums instead of Class Parents, thereby perpetuating gender stereotypes and discouraging women from pursuing more meaningful things such as a career.

The irony of this is of course that the implication is that being a Class Mum is somehow demeaning and not something to value, thereby perpetuating the very stereotypes they claim to be railing against.

Of course, their response to this will be that women who claim to enjoy playing stereotypical roles are simply suffering from false consciousness

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    It's funny, my missus was complaining that the self-appointed functionaries who communicate between a school and its parents are always called Class Mums instead of Class Parents, thereby perpetuating gender stereotypes and discouraging women from pursuing more meaningful things such as a career.

The irony of this is of course that the implication is that being a Class Mum is somehow demeaning and not something to value, thereby perpetuating the very stereotypes they claim to be railing against.

Of course, their response to this will be that women who claim to enjoy playing stereotypical roles are simply suffering from false consciousness
    Well, the whole scam is designed to allow women, mothers, off the hook, isn't it. Regarding raising children, I mean. Anything which allows them to feel less guilty about that is fair enough, so far as they are concerned.

Which is why I never get involved; I'm a father, not a parent.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."