Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I know public information films of the 70s and 80s are a standard comedy trope, but

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    We weren't mollycoddled, but we were bombarded by terrifying government propaganda to stop us taking risks. Then, when we grew up, we transmitted that terror to our kids.
    Right. Parents deliberately stopped doing any actual parenting a long time ago, allowing the government to step into that breach. A mutually beneficial arrangement. Or a Catch-22, depending on your view.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Get a grip man.. One of the main reasons kids are terrified of spiders and bees is attributed to infant recall, growing up with poncey, flakey parents who leapt, screaming and flailing their arms at the first sight of one..

Quote Originally Posted by 71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat View Post
    Throwing bangers at your mates was great fun though. I can still remember my mate setting off a load in a phone box, not getting out in time, massive bang and him staggering out with his hands over his ears His mum wasn't too happy though.
    Of course we now call those kids 'scrotes'

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Right. Parents deliberately stopped doing any actual parenting a long time ago, allowing the government to step into that breach. A mutually beneficial arrangement. Or a Catch-22, depending on your view.
    It's funny, my missus was complaining that the self-appointed functionaries who communicate between a school and its parents are always called Class Mums instead of Class Parents, thereby perpetuating gender stereotypes and discouraging women from pursuing more meaningful things such as a career.

The irony of this is of course that the implication is that being a Class Mum is somehow demeaning and not something to value, thereby perpetuating the very stereotypes they claim to be railing against.

Of course, their response to this will be that women who claim to enjoy playing stereotypical roles are simply suffering from false consciousness

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I think it's more to do with my own inherent personality than any outside influence, but I literally can't lose sight of my kids for more than 5 seconds without my heart starting to palpitate and images entering my head of me on the news sobbing while viewers at home mutter "he blatantly did it".
    Yes, that's why it's best to let dollies take charge of all that; they have the stronger stomachs. And anyway, if anything goes wrong, they sob more convincingly, and garner more sympathy, on the news than blokes.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Have you ever cried Red ?
    (Apart from when HE left of course)
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    It's funny, my missus was complaining that the self-appointed functionaries who communicate between a school and its parents are always called Class Mums instead of Class Parents, thereby perpetuating gender stereotypes and discouraging women from pursuing more meaningful things such as a career.

The irony of this is of course that the implication is that being a Class Mum is somehow demeaning and not something to value, thereby perpetuating the very stereotypes they claim to be railing against.

Of course, their response to this will be that women who claim to enjoy playing stereotypical roles are simply suffering from false consciousness
    Well, the whole scam is designed to allow women, mothers, off the hook, isn't it. Regarding raising children, I mean. Anything which allows them to feel less guilty about that is fair enough, so far as they are concerned.

Which is why I never get involved; I'm a father, not a parent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Remember all those things you said about poor Maddie? Do you ever wake up in the night sweating with fear that karma might be a thing?
    It was John and Tony Podesta. Deffo them in the police sketches. #PizzaGate

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    It was John and Tony Podesta. Deffo them in the police sketches. #PizzaGate
    Pop out for a few days and all hell appears to have broken loose in the swamp #ImpeachBHO