Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I know public information films of the 70s and 80s are a standard comedy trope, but

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    How does this tally with the theory that the kids of yesteryear weren't indulged and mollycoddled like today's youth?
    We weren't mollycoddled, but we were bombarded by terrifying government propaganda to stop us taking risks. Then, when we grew up, we transmitted that terror to our kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It illustrates the point. The reason those films were required was that we were out there, playing in electricity substations and farmyards. It was fúcking carnage.
    Kites and powerlines, gave up on kites after seeing that one. Proper terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Kites and powerlines, gave up on kites after seeing that one. Proper terrifying.
    To this day, I get the fear crossing railway lines - even when I know there's no electricity and that a train isn't going to come and cut my fvcking feet off.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    fvcking hell! I'd forgotten how grim some of them were. It's no wonder we grew up too scared to let our kids go outside. The government spent a decade or so scaring the sh1t out of us.

https://twitter.com/ScarredForLife2/...55482125570050
    Throwing bangers at your mates was great fun though. I can still remember my mate setting off a load in a phone box, not getting out in time, massive bang and him staggering out with his hands over his ears His mum wasn't too happy though.
    When I was young and full of rage
    I hated Tottenham to the core
    But now I've reached a gentler age
    I hate the fùckers even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    We weren't mollycoddled, but we were bombarded by terrifying government propaganda to stop us taking risks. Then, when we grew up, we transmitted that terror to our kids.
    I think it's more to do with my own inherent personality than any outside influence, but I literally can't lose sight of my kids for more than 5 seconds without my heart starting to palpitate and images entering my head of me on the news sobbing while viewers at home mutter "he blatantly did it".

Tie me to a bed and let me die shrieking.
    Isn’t that one of your chat-up lines?

I think it's more to do with my own inherent personality than any outside influence, but I literally can't lose sight of my kids for more than 5 seconds without my heart starting to palpitate and images entering my head of me on the news sobbing while viewers at home mutter "he blatantly did it".
    Remember all those things you said about poor Maddie? Do you ever wake up in the night sweating with fear that karma might be a thing?

:shudder: Yes, fúck all that. Tie me to a bed and let me die shrieking.
    You've just turned Herbs on
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Remember all those things you said about poor Maddie? Do you ever wake up in the night sweating with fear that karma might be a thing?
    My efforts to mitigate against that involve speaking equally appallingly about my own children.

My efforts to mitigate against that involve speaking equally appallingly about my own children.
    Well that's going to do fúck all.

God sees into your soul, m. He sees the blackness there and it pleaseth him not. He prepares a place of eternal torment especially for you, infinite years of the Devil himself raping you with hi9s enormous, forked devildick. Yea, thus was it written and thus shall it come to pass. Amen.