Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Now I had exactly zero interest in the Royal Wedding. I am quite happy for others

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    to derive enjoyment from it and am a monarchist, but there was never the remotest possibility that I was going to bother my arse watching it.

However, nothing is better calculated to make me warm to the damn thing than the performative demonstrations of po-faced, adolescent posturing about it that invariably spew forth from lefty anti-monarchist types. Social media has been absolutely crawling with them this last week with their whataboutery, self-loathing miserabilism, hand-wringing and just plain dishonesty.

Honest to God, can these people not hear what dry cvnts they sound?
    In Jorge's absence, I should make some sort of effort to step up to the plate. Just for a bit of sport.

Here's the thing: I just don't get it. I get that 74% of the population does, but I don't. We've spent 800 years clawing power off their ilk, and this morning I noticed a headline saying that the new Mrs Wossname is going to use her position to push feminism.

On what authority to these people think they can tell us what to do? By all means prance about in your silly outfits if people enjoy the show, but keep the eff out of politics, please.

The left-hand drive, electric E-Type made me sad, t.
    What kind of absolute bóllocks was that? You can get a perfectly restored and, undeed, updated E Type for around £250k. Why would you ponce about with a left hand drive abortion with a milk float engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    In Jorge's absence, I should make some sort of effort to step up to the plate. Just for a bit of sport.

Here's the thing: I just don't get it. I get that 74% of the population does, but I don't. We've spent 800 years clawing power off their ilk, and this morning I noticed a headline saying that the new Mrs Wossname is going to use her position to push feminism.

On what authority to these people think they can tell us what to do? By all means prance about in your silly outfits if people enjoy the show, but keep the eff out of politics, please.
    I tend to agree. They really ought to stay the fvck out of politics - especially if they're going to start p1ssing about with identity politics, which can be nothing other than divisive.

Odd thing, though: some of the most progressive and liberal countries on earth are constitutional monarchies. The idea that such arrangements ingrain conservatism or entrench privilege is demonstrable nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    What kind of absolute bóllocks was that? You can get a perfectly restored and, undeed, updated E Type for around £250k. Why would you ponce about with a left hand drive abortion with a milk float engine?
    I thought of you when I saw it. Imagine whisking your new bride of in something that makes that whiny, monotonous drone.

I thought of you when I saw it. Imagine whisking your new bride of in something that makes that whiny, monotonous drone.
    Do you know what a Mk 1 3.8 E-Type sounds like? It has a vicious rasp that makes the hairs on your neck stand up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post

Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Sussex to you.

But, in general, otherwise agreed.

Do you know what a Mk 1 3.8 E-Type sounds like? It has a vicious rasp that makes the hairs on your neck stand up.
    Not that one. That one sounded like a mosquito trapped in a holiday apartment.

Yes, the prospect of watching it never occurred to me, until at about 11 a.m. the glw said, 'Ooh let's take a peek' and we ended up quite entranced. It was really rather lovely, actually. The sun shone, the cavalry looked incredibly dashing, the people cheered; just for a moment it was possible to believe that the majority of the population are relatively happy with their country and generous of spirit, to boot.

Then I read the contributions of the likes of Coad and Alibhai-Brown, sighed, and opened a drink...
    I channel hopped into it at one point for about 5 seconds and the cameraman panned to my fave Dave Beckham. I mean 5 ****ing seconds! How many times must they have showed that cheesy grinning ****?

Anyway, went and threw up, came back and put The Simpsons on. Something a bit more realistic
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'

I did try to watch but I switched on just as thon preacher man was bellowing questions at the congregation and found it so embarrassing I had to switch off.

The genius of our monarchy is how adeptly they can shape-shift to fit the zeitgeist and secure another fifty years of leeching rights.

I remain convinced that is woman this going to be a whole bunch of trouble for the firm. Let's hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    I did try to watch but I switched on just as thon preacher man was bellowing questions at the congregation and found it so embarrassing I had to switch off.

The genius of our monarchy is how adeptly they can shape-shift to fit the zeitgeist and secure another fifty years of leeching rights.

I remain convinced that is woman this going to be a whole bunch of trouble for the firm. Let's hope so.
    At one point, apparently, the bloody man mentioned 'sexual union'. At a marriage! In front of The Queen! I was furious.