Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Now I had exactly zero interest in the Royal Wedding. I am quite happy for others

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    At one point, apparently, the bloody man mentioned 'sexual union'. At a marriage! In front of The Queen! I was furious.
    That wasn't the yanqui, that was the vicar bloke.

It was appalling.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    That wasn't the yanqui, that was the vicar bloke.

It was appalling.
    Good God! Really? I’d assumed only an American would be capable of such a solecism.

What on earth has become of the C of E? ‘Sexual onion’, indeed.

Good God! Really? I’d assumed only an American would be capable of such a solecism.

What on earth has become of the C of E? ‘Sexual onion’, indeed.
    You don’t often see God and the Church of England mentioned in the same breath

The Times went on about how he had taken the wedding by storm, he was the highlight of the service etc etc etc

I then watched his sermon only to see endless smirks and grins from the audience and in some cases outright embarrassment. Liz and Phil looked aghast.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    The Times went on about how he had taken the wedding by storm, he was the highlight of the service etc etc etc

I then watched his sermon only to see endless smirks and grins from the audience and in some cases outright embarrassment. Liz and Phil looked aghast.
    Soft bigotry of low expectations, innit. If a white priest had come out with that drivel, he’d have been castigated. Essentially, what yer progressives are saying they is ‘Yeah, but they love all that, dont they, the darkies. Bless’.

Soft bigotry of low expectations, innit. If a white priest had come out with that drivel, he’d have been castigated. Essentially, what yer progressives are saying they is ‘Yeah, but they love all that, dont they, the darkies. Bless’.
    Yes, there's that angle as well as the 'had they come out and said it was sh1t and cringe worthy they would have been accused of racism' angle.

Not to mention the desire to confirm - yet again - that they couldn't possibly be racist by telling everyone how wonderful it was.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Yes, there's that angle as well as the 'had they come out and said it was sh1t and cringe worthy they would have been accused of racism' angle.

Not to mention the desire to confirm - yet again - that they couldn't possibly be racist by telling everyone how wonderful it was.
    One of those appalling pastor types debated Stephen Fry and Jordan Peterson on Friday on the relative merits of political correctness.

Whether it's worth two hours of your time you will have to decide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxYimeaoea0

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    One of those appalling pastor types debated Stephen Fry and Jordan Peterson on Friday on the relative merits of political correctness.

Have you spent the two hours on it? If so what did you think? #tldr

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post

I've watched bits of it. The two people against them (including the pastor) seemed pathetically outgunned intellectually.

What's interesting regarding Fry's involvement is that the comedy/media establishment (at least those parts of it bright enough to notice and rich enough to not have to worry about it costing them work) do seem finally to be waking up to the monster they've created. Whether this means others will dare stick their heads above the parapet remains to be seen.

I've watched bits of it. The two people against them (including the pastor) seemed pathetically outgunned intellectually.

What's interesting regarding Fry's involvement is that the comedy/media establishment (at least those parts of it bright enough to notice and rich enough to not have to worry about it costing them work) do seem finally to be waking up to the monster they've created. Whether this means others will dare stick their heads above the parapet remains to be seen.
    Fry has always done that, to be fair. He's been railing against 'offensive culture' for years.

He does talk about the point you're making during this debate, though - in particular how he would be ostracised if he expressed certain opinions among his media luvvie counterparts.

Of course, the pastor's response was pretty much "Don't talk to me about oppression - you're a rich white man."