Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Peter really Joe from the Midlands?

Is Peter really Joe from the Midlands?

Should England be welcoming foreign players?
    One I’m hoping the mailbox can answer. Why does England (and rest of UK) impose the birth, parental, grand parental or 5 years compulsory education rule? Normally you just need citizenship – which is five years residency for the UK I believe. Other countries, including Portugal, Spain, Italy, Germany and Holland – have no problem with allowing ‘foreign’ players who have lived in the country long enough adopt them as a nation. Indeed, Deco, Pepe, Costa, Camoranesi and Klose are few examples of countries adopting real quality players.

In the past it has meant we’ve lost out on players like Arteta, Rangel (for Wales), Almunia and now Leon Bailey have all missed the opportunity due to this stupid rule. Can anyone in the mailbox tell me why we have this stupid rule and if there are any other players who would have/are eligible for England but we could lose to other FAs. Given the Rugby and Cricket teams are made up of foreign ringers I don’t why football should be different.
    Joe, Midlands

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    One I’m hoping the mailbox can answer. Why does England (and rest of UK) impose the birth, parental, grand parental or 5 years compulsory education rule? Normally you just need citizenship – which is five years residency for the UK I believe. Other countries, including Portugal, Spain, Italy, Germany and Holland – have no problem with allowing ‘foreign’ players who have lived in the country long enough adopt them as a nation. Indeed, Deco, Pepe, Costa, Camoranesi and Klose are few examples of countries adopting real quality players.

In the past it has meant we’ve lost out on players like Arteta, Rangel (for Wales), Almunia and now Leon Bailey have all missed the opportunity due to this stupid rule. Can anyone in the mailbox tell me why we have this stupid rule and if there are any other players who would have/are eligible for England but we could lose to other FAs. Given the Rugby and Cricket teams are made up of foreign ringers I don’t why football should be different.
    Joe, Midlands

It is so poorly written that I am a little disappointed that you would suggest it may have been written by me.

Also, I have no idea who Leon Bailey is.

Joe, Midlands
    Poor Joe from the Midlands.

When the best he can find to support his argument is Rangel (for Wales) and our Manuel then you know he is a mentalist.

Ah, LA.

I walked up Haverstock Hill for the first time in some years last night. All three pubs before Belsize Park gone. RIP The Hill, The Sir Wossname Steele and the Haverstock. The George is still there by the Hospital as is the Garden Gate (where I was last night) and the Roebuck (Where Kilburn Al once found Jens Lehman drinking). Of the others round South End Green, The Magdala's gone. White Horse gone. Stag is thriving through.

So four left out of nine round that area. Dartmouth Arms near me has re-opened though, so I should make an effort to patronise it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    It is so poorly written that I am a little disappointed that you would suggest it may have been written by me.

Also, I have no idea who Leon Bailey is.
    I thought it might be a cunning disguise. I had forgotten who Bailey was tbf as well. Jamaican winger for Leverkusen who Utd were sniffing around a while back. No indication he is even remotely English

I thought it might be a cunning disguise. I had forgotten who Bailey was tbf as well. Jamaican winger for Leverkusen who Utd were sniffing around a while back. No indication he is even remotely English
    I am unsure how Bailey fits in as he was born and grew up in Jamaica. Not sure he has ever lived in England. Perhaps there is a grandparent or whatever but that that is a different case to our new manager and ex-keeper.

We have never recovered from missing out on Grealish.

*I watched Grealish on Tuesday night and to be honest would welcome him deciding he is now Irish.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Ah, LA.

I walked up Haverstock Hill for the first time in some years last night. All three pubs before Belsize Park gone. RIP The Hill, The Sir Wossname Steele and the Haverstock. The George is still there by the Hospital as is the Garden Gate (where I was last night) and the Roebuck (Where Kilburn Al once found Jens Lehman drinking). Of the others round South End Green, The Magdala's gone. White Horse gone. Stag is thriving through.

So four left out of nine round that area. Dartmouth Arms near me has re-opened though, so I should make an effort to patronise it a bit.
    Last time I walked past the Dartmouth Arms it looked like it was going to be turned into flats so that is good anyway. Quite a blow for Belsize - used to wander up there to watch games sometimes, the big one near the station, can't recall the name. So many pubs I used to drink in have gone

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I am unsure how Bailey fits in as he was born and grew up in Jamaica. Not sure he has ever lived in England. Perhaps there is a grandparent or whatever but that that is a different case to our new manager and ex-keeper.

We have never recovered from missing out on Grealish.

*I watched Grealish on Tuesday night and to be honest would welcome him deciding he is now Irish.
    I heard he had a good game - terrible hair though

I heard he had a good game - terrible hair though
    He looks a proper player now. If Villa don't come up I can't see him doing another season in the second division.

Joe, Midlands
    They actually wanted Arteta but they would've had to take FIFA to court and they didn't bother in the end.