Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wenger Outers. Will you still be glad he's gone if we get Arteta?

Wenger Outers. Will you still be glad he's gone if we get Arteta?

Genuine question.

I'm not trying to start a fight or prove a point.

If this had been 3/4 years ago and we were getting Klopp, fine, Cheerio AW.

But Arteta?

I'd have kept AW for one more year on the condition he used a defensive coach (as he apparently used Keown in 2004).

This team isn't that far away. Yup, more by luck than judgement (Auba and Laca complementing each other, swapping Alexis for Mhikky etc). So maybe Arteta will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Genuine question.

But Arteta?

I'd have kept AW for one more year on the condition he used a defensive coach (as he apparently used Keown in 2004).

This team isn't that far away. Yup, more by luck than judgement (Auba and Laca complementing each other, swapping Alexis for Mhikky etc). So maybe Arteta will do.
    Lets say you go a restaurant, order something, and it isnt that great.

If you went back to the restaurant, would you order the same thing again or try something else?

I think everyone fully appreciates that we could be worse next season. We would have to be seriously ****ing awful to do much worse than 7th or 8th but it may happen. THat isnt really an argument for saying that Wenger should have stayed.

It wasnt working and it was getting worse. If our board and other staff cant appoint the right manager then that is a separate problem. It doesnt make Wenger any better or worse as a manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Lets say you go a restaurant, order something, and it isnt that great.

If you went back to the restaurant, would you order the same thing again or try something else?

I think everyone fully appreciates that we could be worse next season. We would have to be seriously ****ing awful to do much worse than 7th or 8th but it may happen. THat isnt really an argument for saying that Wenger should have stayed.

It wasnt working and it was getting worse. If our board and other staff cant appoint the right manager then that is a separate problem. It doesnt make Wenger any better or worse as a manager.
    Arteta will not be Arsenal manager this time next year. Mark these words.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Arteta will not be Arsenal manager this time next year. Mark these words.
    Consider them marked- unlike anyone when we defend a corner

I’m sure people were looking for a marquee manager but these types won’t come without significant funds and a realistic possibility to overhaul Citeh and others with bottomless pockets. Enrique obviously overlooked the script.. I suppose the feeling was to put the club on a fresh footing with a progressive young coach..

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    I’m sure people were looking for a marquee manager but these types won’t come without significant funds and a realistic possibility to overhaul Citeh and others with bottomless pockets. Enrique obviously overlooked the script.. I suppose the feeling was to put the club on a fresh footing with a progressive young coach..
    If we wanted an experienced coach we could have just stuck with AW, so Arteta isn't competely leftfield, will work better with our new management structure unlike others who would want more control.... once others had counted themselves out we either had Arteta (or other inexperienced) or Ancelotti
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Genuine question.

But Arteta?

Yes.

Personally I find the whole thing quite exciting. Arteta is clearly a managerial novice but one would suspect he knows and understands the game of football.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Yes.

Personally I find the whole thing quite exciting. Arteta is clearly a managerial novice but one would suspect he knows and understands the game of football.
    He was certainly a very intelligent player. And he does seem like a nice chap.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Yes.

Exciting? You've lost the run of yourself. The appointment of a football manager isn't exciting to a grown up.*

*I don't believe that to be true but it's what you'd have said to me if I'd said it was exciting, so I'm saying it to you. A sort of pre-emptive strike.

**Actually exciting is a bit of a silly word to use.

***Because we are grown ups and it's only football.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Exciting? You've lost the run of yourself. The appointment of a football manager isn't exciting to a grown up.*

*I don't believe that to be true but it's what you'd have said to me if I'd said it was exciting, so I'm saying it to you. A sort of pre-emptive strike.

**Actually exciting is a bit of a silly word to use.

***Because we are grown ups and it's only football.
    Yes, exciting, or if not exciting then certainly not something to be in fear of.

New coach, new ideas, let’s see how things pan out.

He has the bones of a very good team in 5-6 players so with a few new players and perhaps more tactical instruction, or perhaps discipline instead of instruction, we might see a bright future.