Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: So Charles - did you manage to consume all of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    I don't comment because I'm not really a food buff' i'm not into cooking so don't feel as though it is my place to comment on a subject i am not an expert... now if only WES had the same thoughts about football
    But you're perfectly qualified to comment on food. You really mustn't be overawed by Berni's bizarre attitude to mince.

Mrs p is of a foreign, dare I say froggish nature, n'est ce pas? Does she prepare you les repas gastronomique?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    But you're perfectly qualified to comment on food. You really mustn't be overawed by Berni's bizarre attitude to mince.

Mrs p is of a foreign, dare I say froggish nature, n'est ce pas? Does she prepare you les repas gastronomique?
    She normally has to prepare a couple of different meals, one that teh kids will eat and something nice for us grown ups. She is a fine cook and so i am not allowed otr do much cooking unless it is a BBQ as that is a mans domain
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    She normally has to prepare a couple of different meals, one that teh kids will eat and something nice for us grown ups. She is a fine cook and so i am not allowed otr do much cooking unless it is a BBQ as that is a mans domain
    Well there you are then. You wouldn't eat a mince sandwich, would you? And quite rightly so.

Well there you are then. You wouldn't eat a mince sandwich, would you? And quite rightly so.
    By god , of course not, I'm not Canadian
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

You told me once that an accident roll was bad, being mince in a bun. NOW you reckon mince in a sandwich is God's gift to the alimentary passages
    That mince was raw due to the foul habits of the Dutch. Quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Well you learn something new every day. Italians make meat loaf. Well, that's Italian food down one notch on the WES rankings.

So what is this Tuscan recipe, braised mince or braised mince with breadcrumbs? And why braise mince? Surely it would be far nicer to braise chunks of the meat used to make mince and let them break apart beautifully with time? I can't imagine why anyone would mince it prior to braising it.
    Because it makes an entirely different - and quite delicious - dish

You might as well ask why people bother with hamburger when they could have steak sandwiches instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post

You might as well ask why people bother with hamburger when they could have steak sandwiches instead.
    People choose hamburger over steak for sandwiches because mincing the meat causes it to break apart more easily when you bite into it. People don't want to chew through a chunk of steak when eating a hamburger.

People use mince in pasta sauces for a not dissimilar reason; you can make the sauce and then easily add the meat which, because it has been minced, breaks into small pieces and becomes part of the sauce, no lumps of meat to chew through.

Mincing it and then braising it makes no sense as the meat will break apart quickly and therefore not absorb the flavours which are part of the braising liquid, which is one of the two reasons you braise it in the first place (the other being that braising causes the fibers in the meat to break down and you get lovely soft, unctuous pieces of meat filled with the flavor of the braising liquid).

Nope, it's just wrong, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post

Oh and just to be clear, you don't add breadcrumbs to the meat before braising, right? That would be especially insane.