Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jack left out of WC squad

Jack left out of WC squad

Not sure how I feel about this!

On one side, I feel for the lad, he deserves to go and England need him.

On the other, he (and his ankle) get a good rest and will be back for the start of next season

Hmmmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Insider View Post

On the other, he (and his ankle) get a good rest and will be back for the start of next season

Hmmmmm.....
    Really not sure he can be too disappointed at not going. Can't say he's been overly impressive in recent games. He had a real opportunity to stamp his place in our midfield and only provided glimpses of how good he can be.
    A new manager may look to bolster our midfield. Nervous times for Jack ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    Really not sure he can be too disappointed at not going. Can't say he's been overly impressive in recent games. He had a real opportunity to stamp his place in our midfield and only provided glimpses of how good he can be.
    A new manager may look to bolster our midfield. Nervous times for Jack ahead.
    He's out of contract, plenty of clubs will pay him a decent wage and he also has a contract offer from us... can't feel sorry for him
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Huddersfield is his level...he should go there and stop pretending he’s still relevant.

Same with about 3 / 4 other players imo

Quote Originally Posted by The Insider View Post

Hmmmmm.....
    Not sure why you think he deserves to go really.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Not sure why you think he deserves to go really.
    Loftus-Cheek is in it. He's not even on the standby list

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Loftus-Cheek is in it. He's not even on the standby list
    I think the lad Cheek is a decent player to be fair.

Jack is a very good players also but tournament football and the demands of a game every few days means the coach has to make certain choices. The nail in young Jack’s coffin as such was the recent international break when he was called up to the squad amid much media song and dance, and then proceeded to drop out on the day of the first match.

He is not a Neymar or even Neuer figure who perhaps demands to be called up despite injury concerns.

If we are to be really honest with ourselves his performances this season with us were not of the standard as to demand inclusion. He won praise for staying fit, not necessarily for the standard of play.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I think the lad Cheek is a decent player to be fair.

Jack is a very good players also but tournament football and the demands of a game every few days means the coach has to make certain choices. The nail in young Jack’s coffin as such was the recent international break when he was called up to the squad amid much media song and dance, and then proceeded to drop out on the day of the first match.

He is not a Neymar or even Neuer figure who perhaps demands to be called up despite injury concerns.

If we are to be really honest with ourselves his performances this season with us were not of the standard as to demand inclusion. He won praise for staying fit, not necessarily for the standard of play.
    That is in part *******s though - he wasn't injured, Southgate chose to send him back to Arsenal. He had been quite duplicitous in his statements to the press. For instance: "Players must be playing regularly for their clubs" - Danny Rose has started four league games since Christmas; Delph is picked a midfield having played mostly at left back. It is an incredibly uninspiring squad you wouldn't need to be Neymar or Neuer to lift it, just something a bit different

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    That is in part *******s though - he wasn't injured, Southgate chose to send him back to Arsenal. He had been quite duplicitous in his statements to the press. For instance: "Players must be playing regularly for their clubs" - Danny Rose has started four league games since Christmas; Delph is picked a midfield having played mostly at left back. It is an incredibly uninspiring squad you wouldn't need to be Neymar or Neuer to lift it, just something a bit different
    I haven't actually looked at the squad to be honest, little interest for the reason you mention above.

In respect of Delph the fact that he has shown he can play that different role, having been a midfield footballer his entire professional career to now, has perhaps worked in his favour.

With five spuds in the squad and probably four to start, you can guarantee that we will overperform in the Groups before getting cocky and fall flat on our faces at the first sight of a semi-decent team.