Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Wolfe gone. For years I thought Bonfire of the Vanities to be an unsurpassable

Tom Wolfe gone. For years I thought Bonfire of the Vanities to be an unsurpassable

tour de force and despaired of ever reading anything as brilliant again. Then Jorge introduced me to Donna Tartt and The Goldfinch - or was it Bernie?

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    tour de force and despaired of ever reading anything as brilliant again. Then Jorge introduced me to Donna Tartt and The Goldfinch - or was it Bernie?
    Not me. Never got on with Tartt.

His journalism was good - The Right Stuff and The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. Don't think he was much of a novelist, though, if I'm honest.

A Man in Full - also brilliant. I found Electric Kool Aid Acid test to be a bit dull mind. Possibly because it was more fact than fiction and I'm not convinced Wolfe was as good at that.

Still, very sad he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    A Man in Full - also brilliant. I found Electric Kool Aid Acid test to be a bit dull mind. Possibly because it was more fact than fiction and I'm not convinced Wolfe was as good at that.

You don't think the foremost champion of The New Journalism was very good at non-fiction?

Righto.

Stick to engineering.

You didn't think Bonfire was a masterpiece? Stick to hammering your bellend in that allotment shed.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post

Couldn't get past 20 pages of A Man in Full. I think he had maybe just he one brilliant novel in him.

The Right stuff was an excellent read.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    You don't think the foremost champion of The New Journalism was very good at non-fiction?

Righto.

Stick to engineering.
    Probably used long words, b

You didn't think Bonfire was a masterpiece? Stick to hammering your bellend in that allotment shed.
    No. I thought it was yet another self-conscious attempt at 'THE GREAT AMERICAN NOVEL' and - like most such attempts - overblown, grandiose and with a positively chasmic discrepancy between reach and grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    No. I thought it was yet another self-conscious attempt at 'THE GREAT AMERICAN NOVEL' and - like most such attempts - overblown, grandiose and with a positively chasmic discrepancy between reach and grasp.
    'fess up - you didn't even read the ****ing thing.

'fess up - you didn't even read the ****ing thing.
    It's hack work, h. Full of ciphers masquerading as characters and metaphors masquerading as plot. Go and read Tolstoy.