Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I must say, I do like the way the Israelis don't fvck about.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    and with the weapons at Trump's disposal we may very soon regret a lack of maturity.

I dont think conflating foreign policy with immigration is terribly helpful here, although I do get the point you are making (bloody Islamophobe!)
    The conflation is deliberate and valid. Governments ought to have a clear vision of what one's country means, what it should be and a clear-eyed grasp of how that should be achieved and where the red lines are. The Israelis have those things and we - or at least our politicians - have frittered them away on fantasies of a world without nation states.
    Last edited by Burney; 05-15-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The conflation is deliberate and valid. Governments ought to have a clear vision of what one's country means, what it should be and a clear-eyed grasp of how that should be achieved and where the red lines are. The Israelis have those things and we - or at least our politicians - have frittered them away on fantasies of a world without nation states.
    But the rise of nation states led to repeated wars, empires forming and collapsing and, even worse, ordinary people becoming somewhat involved in how a country is run.

In short, it was a nightmare. Hence the EU, the UN, NATO and all the other apparatus of the new world order swept in to rescue us from our parochial, narrow minded view of our own corner of the world.

We all bleed, b. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's futures and we all believe in a flat back four.

We people are one. You and your ilk want to go back to the chaos of nationalism.... shame on you!

But the rise of nation states led to repeated wars, empires forming and collapsing and, even worse, ordinary people becoming somewhat involved in how a country is run.

In short, it was a nightmare. Hence the EU, the UN, NATO and all the other apparatus of the new world order swept in to rescue us from our parochial, narrow minded view of our own corner of the world.

We all bleed, b. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's futures and we all believe in a flat back four.

We people are one. You and your ilk want to go back to the chaos of nationalism.... shame on you!
    No-one said it was a bed of roses. However, it's abundantly clear that, despite the best efforts of politicians for 70 years, the notion of the nation state and its attendant nationalisms are stubbornly persistent. This is because people like them. They like identifying with people who speak the same language, eat the same food, share the same cultural reference points. They prefer such people to the alternative. This is why the notion of a European identity equivalent to one's national identity is plainly laughable.

No-one said it was a bed of roses. However, it's abundantly clear that, despite the best efforts of politicians for 70 years, the notion of the nation state and its attendant nationalisms are stubbornly persistent. This is because people like them. They like identifying with people who speak the same language, eat the same food, share the same cultural reference points. They prefer such people to the alternative. This is why the notion of a European identity equivalent to one's national identity is plainly laughable.
    I think we both know that isnt true when it comes to food. Immigration saved us from a century of pork pies, pasties and mashed potato.

Thank **** for the Indians, the Chinese, the Turks and, to a lesser extent, our Italian friends.

Morning Enoch - how's yer piles?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Morning Ken. How're the newts these days?
    . . . . . . . .

I think we both know that isnt true when it comes to food. Immigration saved us from a century of pork pies, pasties and mashed potato.

Thank **** for the Indians, the Chinese, the Turks and, to a lesser extent, our Italian friends.
    I'm speaking about countries who have a strong food culture in the first place. The French prefer French food, the Italians Italian, Spaniards Spanish and so forth. They're deeply chauvinistic about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    . . . . . . . .
    Better than your mum's, which I pushed back up her arse with both arms last night.

I feel quite queasy now. I wish I hadn't said that.

I'm speaking about countries who have a strong food culture in the first place. The French prefer French food, the Italians Italian, Spaniards Spanish and so forth. They're deeply chauvinistic about it.
    THe poor sods have never got pissed and had a bloody good kebab. They dont know what they are missing.

Yes. It's almost as though their government regards protecting the lives of its citizens as its primary goal rather than worrying about whether people are being offended and pandering to the whining of minority groups.

Radical stuff.
    Is this a universal principle?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Is this a universal principle?
    Of its nature it cannot be. It is for each nation's government to protect its people.