Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Are YOU gammon and proud?

Are YOU gammon and proud?

99 times out of a hundred I'm going with a fried egg; there's always the chance that I'll be feeling extremely flighty and experiment with a pineapple ring, but never, ever, the two together.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    99 times out of a hundred I'm going with a fried egg; there's always the chance that I'll be feeling extremely flighty and experiment with a pineapple ring, but never, ever, the two together.
    I've always found gammon a bit thick and off-putting. There's something a bit squeaky and plastic about it.

In other news, I've got into Gentleman's Relish in a big way. Cheese on toast smeared with a bit of it is outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I've always found gammon a bit thick and off-putting. There's something a bit squeaky and plastic about it.

In other news, I've got into Gentleman's Relish in a big way. Cheese on toast smeared with a bit of it is outstanding.
    I like to think of it as thick bacon. It's just an excuse to have egg, bacon and chips in the pub.

I've never experimented with Gentleman's Relish. Is it basically anchovy paste?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I like to think of it as thick bacon. It's just an excuse to have egg, bacon and chips in the pub.

I've never experimented with Gentleman's Relish. Is it basically anchovy paste?
    It is, but much more intense. There are lots of videos on YouTube of idiot Americans eating it as though it were pate and then pronouncing it disgusting. This ignores the fact that the instructions clearly say 'use sparingly' (a concept clearly alien to the cousins when it comes to food). I use no more than enough to cover the end of a knife for a slice of buttered toast. It adds a deliciously fishy/umami tang. I had some for breakfast this morning, in fact.