Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, Wenger was ridiculed for suggesting that 4th place was a trophy. You now have

It is not that people wilfully misunderstood you m. I think they just didn't

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I think the point that I, in the past, and now Spurs fans are making, is that 4th place is not in and of itself better than a trophy. But if you are able to effectively use the undeniable prestige and financial rewards of competing in the CL to help you progress footballistically as a club (heck, perhaps even win the thing), then it is of course better than winning a domestic cup, which does precisely nothing to help you push on as a club.

People always willfully misunderstood this argument and claimed it showed a) lack of ambition or b) a greater concern with the club's balance sheet than on-field success.

People like you, in fact. Until now, curiously...
    like you because you're a big-nosed ****. I love you like a son myself

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I remember being ridiculed on Awimb for suggesting I'd quite like him when he was at Liverpool. I have a vague memory that LA eventually agreed with me, after calling me a big nosed **** several times in succession, natch.

I want Paddy V. I know he'll probably be totally fúcking useless, but I cannot bear the idea of us becoming Just Another Club that goes from manager to manager every three years. Without a manager whose identity is bound up with the club, the magic is totally gone, for me, Clive
    I want Paddy too. Just for the monstrous rendition of the old Vieira song that will accompany his first appearance at The ArabBowl. He will be an abject failure of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Spurs playing suggesting it is actually better than a trophy.

Just saying.....
    Did you see the silly old **** lifting that trophy over his head last week when Pat Rice handed it to him.

So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Did you see the silly old **** lifting that trophy over his head last week when Pat Rice handed it to him.

So sad.
    Most appropriate would have been a long, puffy coat with velcro instead of a zipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    No, we sacked our greatest manager because performance was dropping across the board and there were no reasons to believe it would change. If it were about dribbling, entitled ****s we would have sacked him years ago.
    Indeed. Of course speaking as a dribbling spastic, he really should have gone years a go. It's only the pandering and simpering that's kept him in his position. Any progress we could have made with a new manager has stalled on account of our dithering board.
    It's football management at the highest level and isn't it meant to be a bit, well, ruthless ? The fact that the rest of the world change managers every few years is all a part of preventing the type of stagnation that's set in to the point of rigor mortis at our place.
    The final slap in the face with the halibut resulting in the entirely predictable season we've just had.
    It's power you see, people just won't relinquish it any cost, nor does it ever occur to them that perhaps someone else could do their jobs better.

Think the ridicule was more for the fact the team was capable of so much more.