Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, Wenger was ridiculed for suggesting that 4th place was a trophy. You now have

So, Wenger was ridiculed for suggesting that 4th place was a trophy. You now have

Spurs playing suggesting it is actually better than a trophy.

Just saying.....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Spurs playing suggesting it is actually better than a trophy.

Just saying.....
    I think the point that I, in the past, and now Spurs fans are making, is that 4th place is not in and of itself better than a trophy. But if you are able to effectively use the undeniable prestige and financial rewards of competing in the CL to help you progress footballistically as a club (heck, perhaps even win the thing), then it is of course better than winning a domestic cup, which does precisely nothing to help you push on as a club.

People always willfully misunderstood this argument and claimed it showed a) lack of ambition or b) a greater concern with the club's balance sheet than on-field success.

People like you, in fact. Until now, curiously...

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I think the point that I, in the past, and now Spurs fans are making, is that 4th place is not in and of itself better than a trophy. But if you are able to effectively use the undeniable prestige and financial rewards of competing in the CL to help you progress footballistically as a club (heck, perhaps even win the thing), then it is of course better than winning a domestic cup, which does precisely nothing to help you push on as a club.

People always willfully misunderstood this argument and claimed it showed a) lack of ambition or b) a greater concern with the club's balance sheet than on-field success.

Do you have a preference for the new manager? I'm very much hoping for Brendon Rodgers, personally.

O. Kee.

Not this time, I'm afraid. I always appreciated that 4th place was more important for the club than the FA Cup even if it was just for the financial reasons. I wanted a cup as well, and was very happy the first time we won it. However, it remains a good day out and little more.

My point here is not that Wenger was wrong. It is that he was ridiculed for saying it. I suppose it is really just that we are judged by a different standard to Spurs, for obvious reasons.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Do you have a preference for the new manager? I'm very much hoping for Brendon Rodgers, personally.

O. Kee.
    I remember being ridiculed on Awimb for suggesting I'd quite like him when he was at Liverpool. I have a vague memory that LA eventually agreed with me, after calling me a big nosed **** several times in succession, natch.

I want Paddy V. I know he'll probably be totally fúcking useless, but I cannot bear the idea of us becoming Just Another Club that goes from manager to manager every three years. Without a manager whose identity is bound up with the club, the magic is totally gone, for me, Clive

I remember being ridiculed on Awimb for suggesting I'd quite like him when he was at Liverpool. I have a vague memory that LA eventually agreed with me, after calling me a big nosed **** several times in succession, natch.

I want Paddy V. I know he'll probably be totally fúcking useless, but I cannot bear the idea of us becoming Just Another Club that goes from manager to manager every three years. Without a manager whose identity is bound up with the club, the magic is totally gone, for me, Clive
    So you wouldn't fancy just hiring one of the standard big names- an Ancelotti or similar for a two year stint?

I think it will be quite interesting to see how the new role is being interpreted. Clearly it wont be the almost total control that Wenger had but equally I am not comfortable with a situation where your head coach is merely one of many heads of department and is considered as expendable as a head of negotiation.

But we are Just Another Club. We've done it now. We've sacked our greatest ever manager to appease dribbling, entitled ****s whose views should have no bearing whatsoever on decisions taken by the board.

We're no better than Leicester. That's what comes of selling out to the Yanqui.

Vieira? You daft big-nosed ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    But we are Just Another Club. We've done it now. We've sacked our greatest ever manager to appease dribbling, entitled ****s whose views should have no bearing whatsoever on decisions taken by the board.

We're no better than Leicester. That's what comes of selling out to the Yanqui.

Vieira? You daft big-nosed ****.
    No, we sacked our greatest manager because performance was dropping across the board and there were no reasons to believe it would change. If it were about dribbling, entitled ****s we would have sacked him years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    No, we sacked our greatest manager because performance was dropping across the board and there were no reasons to believe it would change. If it were about dribbling, entitled ****s we would have sacked him years ago.

If you always do what you've always done...etc. And what Arsene keeps doing is no longer satisfactory.

SC - do you actually think we should keep AW?

It's time to go! :claude:
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post

If you always do what you've always done...etc. And what Arsene keeps doing is no longer satisfactory.

SC - do you actually think we should keep AW?

It's time to go! :claude:
    I can't hear you lalalalalalalala!