Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Arsene virtually in tears in the interview when asked if he was sad that he wouldn't

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    There seems to be a cult of 'thou shalt not ever criticize Ozil' on here. He's a wonderfully talented player and he isn't given enough credit for how hard he works, however in tight games against well organized teams he goes missing too often. Last night was one of those games.
    Not only that, if you criticise Özil it quickly becomes a discussion about “not getting it”, as though to criticise him singles you out as some sort of football illiterate.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    He tracked back and tackled, had no movement in front of him, what was he supposed to do? The only ball available was to Monreal or Bellerin, which he did and they promptly over hit easy crosses
    I'm with you, P. I'd suggest that Arsenal played pretty well last night. The only poor performances coming from the two wing backs. Performances of note to Chambers & Xhaka.

Ozil chased a lot of lost causes, made some lovely little passes and flicks. He can't play killer balls every week - especially against a team as well organised as Athletico. If you want evidence of their organisational skills then look no further than the fact that 41% of the game was played in their third and we had only one shot on target (a speculative drive from distance).

And yet time and again he’s singled out by those within the game for his inconsistency. Keown savaged him in the press today.

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    And yet time and again he’s singled out by those within the game for his inconsistency. Keown savaged him in the press today.
    Keown is a moron - FACT

He tracked back and tackled, had no movement in front of him, what was he supposed to do? The only ball available was to Monreal or Bellerin, which he did and they promptly over hit easy crosses
    Mesut's problem is simply he doesn't score enough goals. And our team can't really afford that, not from our best player.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

That’s an opinion. It doesn’t make it a fact. Fair enough that you disagree with him. Ozil divides opinions like no other player we have but he’s a luxury player and probably not one who plays to his strengths against a well organised, physical defence

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    win a European trophy with Arsenal

For what it's worth, I think the best team over two legs lost.

It was a brief, occasionally curt press conference, but none the less devastating for that. As Arsene Wenger reflected on his last, lost chance at salvaging a trophy from the final days of his Arsenal reign, there was a moistness and a redness to his eyes: the look of a man who had been crying, or was about to do so, and was doing his damnedest not to do it now, in front of hundreds of strangers with laptops.

“I am, like the team, very sad and very disappointed,” he said after Arsenal’s 1-0 defeat to Atletico Madrid that eliminated them from the Europa League at the semi-final stage. “Even very frustrated, as well, because when you go out of a competition and you had the performances over 180 minutes that we had, it is very difficult to take.

“For the club, there is now some time to think about what to do for next season,” he said. “I think there are some good ingredients in our team, and they will bounce back. These players have quality, and with the right additions in the summer, the team will compete next year.” And it the moment at which he dared to glimpse into the future – a future in which after 22 years, he and Arsenal are separate entities – that Wenger became most emotional.
    Arsene Wenger. 2nd in the top ten managerial appearances in European competitions.

Arsene Wenger. The only manager in that top ten not to have won a European trophy.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Keown is a moron - FACT
    As much as I thought Özil was rubbish I agree that Keown is a moron. If only he slagged off Arsene as much as he does his players.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Arsene Wenger. 2nd in the top ten managerial appearances in European competitions.

Arsene Wenger. The only manager in that top ten not to have won a European trophy.
    Which clubs have the others managed, though? Wenger ran a team on a shoestring budget compared to most CL winners (bearing in mind he's only really had 2 shots at the EL).

Had he gone to Real or Bayern when he was offered the jobs then I have no doubt he'd have won a few. However, he is a loyal man and sometimes that is worth more.

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    That’s an opinion. It doesn’t make it a fact. Fair enough that you disagree with him. Ozil divides opinions like no other player we have but he’s a luxury player and probably not one who plays to his strengths against a well organised, physical defence
    No it's a fact, nothing to do with last night. He constantly talks utter *******s