Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arsene virtually in tears in the interview when asked if he was sad that he wouldn't

Arsene virtually in tears in the interview when asked if he was sad that he wouldn't

win a European trophy with Arsenal

For what it's worth, I think the best team over two legs lost.

It was a brief, occasionally curt press conference, but none the less devastating for that. As Arsene Wenger reflected on his last, lost chance at salvaging a trophy from the final days of his Arsenal reign, there was a moistness and a redness to his eyes: the look of a man who had been crying, or was about to do so, and was doing his damnedest not to do it now, in front of hundreds of strangers with laptops.

“I am, like the team, very sad and very disappointed,” he said after Arsenal’s 1-0 defeat to Atletico Madrid that eliminated them from the Europa League at the semi-final stage. “Even very frustrated, as well, because when you go out of a competition and you had the performances over 180 minutes that we had, it is very difficult to take.

“For the club, there is now some time to think about what to do for next season,” he said. “I think there are some good ingredients in our team, and they will bounce back. These players have quality, and with the right additions in the summer, the team will compete next year.” And it the moment at which he dared to glimpse into the future – a future in which after 22 years, he and Arsenal are separate entities – that Wenger became most emotional.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    win a European trophy with Arsenal

For what it's worth, I think the best team over two legs lost.
    Rich you are a dick.

We huffed and we puffed, a classic valiant exit etc. We were in no way embarrassed as many thought we might be but they were quite superior to us I thought.

Even with 10 men in the first leg they had the two best players on the pitch in Oblak and Godin, and in the second leg swap those two for Griezemann and Costa.

I do like the big unit Partey also. He would be on my shopping list this June.
    Last edited by SWv2; 05-04-2018 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    "For what it is worth" R, I completely agree with you and would threaten physical violence on any person that argued otherwise.

We huffed and we puffed, a classic valiant exit etc. We were in no way embarrassed as many thought we might be but they were quite superior to us I thought.

Even with 10 men in the first leg they had the two best players on the pitch in Oblak and Godin, and in the second leg swap those two for Griezemann and Costa.

Oblak is very much on my list. The problem will be persuading them. 'Would you like to swap playing under one of the best tactical coaches in the game, for a club that challenges for La Liga and is in the Champions League for a club managed by someone that has never managed a professional game in his life, is in the Europa League and has zero hope of getting into the top four clubs in England?'

"For what it is worth" R, I completely agree with you and would threaten physical violence on any person that argued otherwise.

So did the best team over 2 legs win or lose? I'm confused with the 2 of you deciding??

I didn't even see it and I'm ashamed to say I wasn't that bothered.
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Oblak is very much on my list. The problem will be persuading them. 'Would you like to swap playing under one of the best tactical coaches in the game, for a club that challenges for La Liga and is in the Champions League for a club managed by someone that has never managed a professional game in his life, is in the Europa League and has zero hope of getting into the top four clubs in England?'
    Have we appointed someone? Who is he
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

You want to read that again, SW? I'm struggling to understand your view on whether the better team did or didn't win.

FTR, the better team won. Just watch the defending for the two goals we conceded and compare the performance of their best players against Ozil, as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Have we appointed someone? Who is he
    Buvac or Arteta. Allegri only fancied it if we were in the Champions League (allegedly).

That's a bit in contrast with your original post there r. You seemed to be suggesting we were the better side over the two legs. ( we weren't btw. They invited us on to them and realised very quickly we were toothless and were very vulnerable to a counter )

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    That's a bit in contrast with your original post there r. You seemed to be suggesting we were the better side over the two legs. ( we weren't btw. They invited us on to them and realised very quickly we were toothless and were very vulnerable to a counter )
    I think we were... They defend as a unit so remarkably well. Very well drilled indeed but Arsenal were more creative, for me.

If Monreal and Berrelin could cross a football/we had Giroud to get on the end of them then I think it would have been different.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    You want to read that again, SW? I'm struggling to understand your view on whether the better team did or didn't win.

FTR, the better team won. Just watch the defending for the two goals we conceded and compare the performance of their best players against Ozil, as an example.
    Right, I'm not having the fvcking Ozil thing, he played in the wing backs time and time again but it's not his fault they couldn't cross a T. Honestly, it was embarrassing