Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Recruiting for a job and I'm struck by the ineptitude of graduate CVs.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    One girl lists under Key Skills 'Journalist for Fandom Wikia' (????), as well as 'Emotional intelligence' and
    'Passionate Cosplayer and Pop Culture enthusiast' (????????).

Meanwhile, straight after claiming she has 'Keen attention to detail', she says she has 'Exceptional skills in Microsoft Office and Abode Systems'

This girl has an MA and has spent five years in higher education.

Another genius felt the need to tell me his 'Ethnic background' was 'Caucasion' and list his 'Religion' as 'None'.
    Yet another applied for a job in journalism and gave as the first line in his application 'I am looking for a job to further a career in computing/software development'.

I despair.
    The standard of job applicants has gone down in the last few years.

The good people are kept by their current companies and the rest just churn and then die and are generally replaced by fúckwits.

One of our graduates left after two months because, and I directly quote, "Work is getting in the way of my other commitments"

Which as far as I could work out were, something called, boxercise and going to lefty demos in London.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post

The good people are kept by their current companies and the rest just churn and then die and are generally replaced by fúckwits.

One of our graduates left after two months because, and I directly quote, "Work is getting in the way of my other commitments"

Which as far as I could work out were, something called, boxercise and going to lefty demos in London.
    This is the problem with having record low levels of unemployment, I guess. They know they can go and get another entry-level job paying flumpence easily, so they don't value the one they have. The idea of building a career seems lost on some of them

I keep being shocked by how old some of the junior people who work for us are. I keep thinking they're 21, only to discover they're in their late 20s/early 30s. I keep thinking that at their age, I had a kid and had already been an editor for several years - BECAUSE I BLOODY WELL HAD TO.

The idea of building a career seems lost on some of them
    graduates who want Ł30k for their first fúcking job.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Is it Shed-ule or Sked-ule? I think the former.
    Definitely shed. Sked sounds revolting.

BECAUSE I BLOODY WELL HAD TO.
    No, you didn't have to; you chose to, probably because on balance you found it preferable to raising your children.

Still do, I'm guessing. The full employment-thing is often a red herring.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

To be honest, you have to admire that. Surely nobody really wants to spend their useful life pushing pencils in a white-collar cubicle, do they.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    To be honest, you have to admire that. Surely nobody really wants to spend their useful life pushing pencils in a white-collar cubicle, do they.
    What a charmingly old-fashioned view of the modern workplace you have, r.

Pencils, indeed! And my collar today is salmon pink, I'll have you know.

Well, maybe. If everyone did that . . .

But why go through a fairly arduous recruitment process for a role where you could build a career, a career of your choosing, and then realise after 8 weeks that you'd rather be getting your head stoved in by the Met on a Thursday afternoon in Whitehall?

Well, maybe. If everyone did that . . .

But why go through a fairly arduous recruitment process for a role where you could build a career, a career of your choosing, and then realise after 8 weeks that you'd rather be getting your head stoved in by the Met on a Thursday afternoon in Whitehall?
    Just because, for many, it is the done thing. People at least have to pretend that's what they want, even if it clearly isn't.

I have an Arsenal pencil from a secret santa the other year, so it's ok.