Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Arsene has just admitted that the timing of his departure was ‘not really my decision

I'm not convinced about your private security option for policing.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Privately-funded roads that charge tolls, p.
    If I don't pay health insurance, that's down to me.
    A police force is inimical to individual freedom and ought to be done away with and replaced by private security.

Government has a role to play in national defence and the operation of the law. That's it. Everything else would be better left to private capital and market forces.

I mean, Group 4 ?

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    I mean, Group 4 ?
    One would have a choice, wouldn't one? Which means that if a security provider were bad, you could get a better one - and they'd be competing, thus driving down costs. As it is, our police force is a useless, bloated and ideologically-motivated mess more worried about being called racist than about solving or preventing crime. Don't tell me the private sector couldn't do better.

One would have a choice, wouldn't one? Which means that if a security provider were bad, you could get a better one - and they'd be competing, thus driving down costs. As it is, our police force is a useless, bloated and ideologically-motivated mess more worried about being called racist than about solving or preventing crime. Don't tell me the private sector couldn't do better.
    Bear in mind that the fine gentlemen of the constabulary are watching for any evidence of hate crimes, which they will pursue mercilessly. I for one applaud this important work and hail the heroes of the Thoughtcriume Division.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Bear in mind that the fine gentlemen of the constabulary are watching for any evidence of hate crimes, which they will pursue mercilessly. I for one applaud this important work and hail the heroes of the Thoughtcriume Division.
    Exactly. This is what comes when one's police force is a branch of government. They absorb political policy and pursue political agendas.

Exactly. This is what comes when one's police force is a branch of government. They absorb political policy and pursue political agendas.
    I think they do a wonderful multicultural LGBTQI-inclusive job and they are welcome to examine my hard drive and brainwaves any time they fancy. Should I require re-education, it will be an honour to serve in Our Gulag.

I agree, r. Mind you, it has to be said that this is a bit rich coming from a chap who has had much of his professional life funded by the taxpayer.
    Well, quite. Ask the man who knows.

It's a brilliant idea for me, of course. My post was not based on ingratitude so much as incredulity; why do intelligent people believe giving lots of money to government so government can give lots of money to people like me is a good idea.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

And they also get bored, and boredom leads to pointless corruption. It's all just silly, juvenile, bureaucratic games.

I was reading up on Whitey Bulger the other week. I had actually come across his case many years ago by accident, as I was looking into a legendary fighting English bull-terrier called "Whitey" and the Bulger-thing came up in a search.

Anyway, it seems that the so called special counsel who is currently harassing President Trump is heavily, possibly even criminally, implicated in that whole fiasco. And most of these people like him aren't even doing it for the money! I really think they're just bored
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    And they also get bored, and boredom leads to pointless corruption. It's all just silly, juvenile, bureaucratic games.

I was reading up on Whitey Bulger the other week. I had actually come across his case many years ago by accident, as I was looking into a legendary fighting English bull-terrier called "Whitey" and the Bulger-thing came up in a search.

Anyway, it seems that the so called special counsel who is currently harassing President Trump is heavily, possibly even criminally, implicated in that whole fiasco. And most of these people like him aren't even doing it for the money! I really think they're just bored
    That's the gangster chap in Boston whose brother was a senator or somesuch, isn't it? I saw a film about him. With Johnny Depp, I think.

Shanty-town Irish, r. Corruption's inevitable. Look at the Kennedys.

That's the gangster chap in Boston whose brother was a senator or somesuch, isn't it? I saw a film about him. With Johnny Depp, I think.

Shanty-town Irish, r. Corruption's inevitable. Look at the Kennedys.
    Right. And Jack Nicholson's character in "The Departed".

But the bit I don't get is, when does it stop? When do these fellows say, "Right. I've got enough dirty cash; I'm off to live in the country, and leaving not even a wisp of cloud behind, to breed border collies and Labradors and my wife will be joining me as CEO of the Ponies, Kids and other Farmyard Animals Farmstead Concern for the rest of our natural lives", or whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Right. And Jack Nicholson's character in "The Departed".

But the bit I don't get is, when does it stop? When do these fellows say, "Right. I've got enough dirty cash; I'm off to live in the country, and leaving not even a wisp of cloud behind, to breed border collies and Labradors and my wife will be joining me as CEO of the Ponies, Kids and other Farmyard Animals Farmstead Concern for the rest of our natural lives", or whatever?
    Doesn't seem to work like that. A lot of these people seem to love the whole business of being dirty as much as they love the cash that comes with it.