Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Apparently Ivan wants Arteta, Raul wants Enrique and Sven wants Naglesmann

Quote Originally Posted by Just Trent View Post
    I thought the point of a sporting director was to advise the CEO and board on footballing decisions? Is Arteta able to handle the size of the job yet? It's one hell of weight for anyone to take on. I don't have a problem with Enrique's style of play. It's attacking, just more of a mix. I don't want us to get too obsessed with trying to play 'the Arsenal way' either. The whole point of Wenger going is that our style of play hasn't worked often enough.
    I think Raul will have the final word (or biggest say) for the very reasons you mention - he will also be given the title of Director of Football once Arsene goes

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I suppose it's too late for Cruyff?

How about a de Boer? Some Dutchman, anyway. You can't go wrong with footballing Dutchmen.
    Strootman tonight Sir C. His time has come.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I think Raul will have the final word (or biggest say) for the very reasons you mention - he will also be given the title of Director of Football once Arsene goes
    Fúcking hell, it's still really shocking when you're confronted by it. It's like the weeks after your dad dies, every so often you consciously remember and it's a shock again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Yes, I got so excited about those Cruyff rumours
    I thought he was coming, and bringing some of those wonderful Ajax players ( Seedorf, Davids etc..) with him. Still, we did get Bergkamp a few weeks later.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    As all the others report to Ivan, I would imagine that Ivan will get his way.

That being said, Ivan is not a footballing man whereas the others are. So there is hope.

Arteta has advantages, though - He'll be cheaper (more money for playing squad), he would be very keen to make an impression given it would be his first job as a football manager, he is highly thought of at City & I read that he's been earmarked to takeover from Pep, he would play football the Arsenal way whereas Enrique would not (I cannot speak for the German).
    I would expect none of them to get their way what with it being a decision to be arrived at between the 3 of them. However if any party was to get their way I would expect it to be the Spanish.

Little job for Mickey Pearce there. Changing the lettering on Raul's office door.

It's possible that Mikel might just have that "magic", I suppose, but then so might Steve Bould (what of Wenger's coaching staff; are they off too?) And Enrique may bring Lionel Messi with him, which would be a good thing, I think we can all agree.

Personally, I feel there are probably quite enough Luises about the place already, what with you and ben Monty. Ditto: Germans. Natürlich nicht böse gemeint.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

I thought the point of a sporting director was to advise the CEO and board on footballing decisions? Is Arteta able to handle the size of the job yet? It's one hell of a weight for anyone to take on. I don't have a problem with Enrique's style of play. It's attacking, just more of a mix. I don't want us to get too obsessed with trying to play 'the Arsenal way' either. The whole point of Wenger going is that our style of play hasn't worked often enough.
    Maybe it's old-fashioned of me, but I would like an ex-Arsenal man, tbh.

I know AW had no connection to the club as such, but he was called Arsene, which I always felt counted for something.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    It's possible that Mikel might just have that "magic", I suppose, but then so might Steve Bould (what of Wenger's coaching staff; are they off too?) And Enrique may bring Lionel Messi with him, which would be a good thing, I think we can all agree.

Personally, I feel there are probably quite enough Luises about the place already, what with you and ben Monty. Ditto: Germans. Natürlich nicht böse gemeint.
    What of Vic Akers? A man who is cringeworthily described on the website as having 'red and white coursing through his veins' - which seems to me to ignore the fact that everyone has red and white coursing through their veins.

I thought the point of a sporting director was to advise the CEO and board on footballing decisions? Is Arteta able to handle the size of the job yet? It's one hell of weight for anyone to take on. I don't have a problem with Enrique's style of play. It's attacking, just more of a mix. I don't want us to get too obsessed with trying to play 'the Arsenal way' either. The whole point of Wenger going is that our style of play hasn't worked often enough.
    I thought one of the journo chaps on Sunday Supplement made quite a good point re who we appoint next. It was more or less that there is no obvious choice at this point i.e. a Klopp, Pochettino or Pep, so rather than reach for a young manager who might fail badly (which would be a disaster after letting Wenger go) the club should appoint someone they see as being able to take the club forward for the next 2-3 years as they look for a long term solution.

That sort of feels like Ancelotti or Enrique - neither of whom I can see being here 10 years from now