Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Since we’re doing the Wenger retrospective, how about great mysteries of his era?

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Prat Vegas View Post
    Don't forget the man who won a competition to play at Left-Back for a year - Andre Santos
    Did we sign him on the supermarket sweep style deadline day where we picked up a phalanx of poor to average footballers - I seem to remember Per being the pick of the bunch

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Oh, that’s right. Took ages, though. And he missed about half a dozen gilt-edged chances first.

Christ. Remember when we were good enough to just toy with lower league sides like a bored cat with a crippled mouse?
    Oh yeah - on both counts. Henry was desperate for him to score. Lee Dixon's last game - it seems so long ago

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Did we sign him on the supermarket sweep style deadline day where we picked up a phalanx of poor to average footballers - I seem to remember Per being the pick of the bunch
    Harsh on Arteta.

Oh, that’s right. Took ages, though. And he missed about half a dozen gilt-edged chances first.

Christ. Remember when we were good enough to just toy with lower league sides like a bored cat with a crippled mouse?
    it was like they were having a pre match kick about with the young mascot. When the goalkeeper moves out the way and the young kid still misses a penalty.

Harsh on Arteta.
    Yes, when Arsene went into outright panic and signed two footballers who went on to play a huge part in the club for the next five years, both serving as captain.

and a couple of quid on Santos and Park, two of the worst players in the history of the world

We’ll we know why that was, of course.
    I think (LA?) he scored a couple of crucial goals at the end of that season that squeezed us into fourth.

I always liked him.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Yes, when Arsene went into outright panic and signed two footballers who went on to play a huge part in the club for the next five years, both serving as captain.

and a couple of quid on Santos and Park, two of the worst players in the history of the world
    Arteta & Per are two of the most underwhelming captains in the history of Arsenal FC. Great men, there can be no doubt. Great footballers, not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post

Didn't we also sign Gervinho that season? Or am I mistaken?

I was always confused by the fact he wasn't Brazilian.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Arteta & Per are two of the most underwhelming captains in the history of Arsenal FC. Great men, there can be no doubt. Great footballers, not so sure.
    Great signings? At the time, no question whatsoever. THe point is that when Arsene panicked he did better than a lot of managers do after a summer of work.

They were not Tony Adams and Cesc. They were both massive improvements on what we had and became crucially important to us.

Didn't we also sign Gervinho that season? Or am I mistaken?

I was always confused by the fact he wasn't Brazilian.
    I think we signed the Ox that summer. I was ridiculed at the time for saying he was not ready. He still isnt