Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I didn't like yesterday. I thought it should be a more celebratory experience

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    No, we decided money was the way forward, as opposed to old-fashioned "values" or what-ever-have-you, and got AW in precisely because, for one thing, He knew where all the cheap foreigners were hidden. Without Him, we wouldn't have/couldn't have done it; we may have been merely content with our lot and carried on as before, waiting for the Chinese to catch on and pay us billions.

You can't have it both ways by painting Him as a victim of our lost or transformed values; He himself was the key agent of that change. He had met and had become friends with David Dein some years before we made Him manager, don't forget.
    I don't deny he wanted change. However, nobody in their right mind could possibly believe that the changes he's seen are what he would have wanted. We were once a club with a very distinct culture and ethos (which he valued) and now we're just a corporate cash cow being ruthlessly milked by a foreign absentee landlord with the help of his bland yes men.

It's a bad business.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I don't deny he wanted change. However, nobody in their right mind could possibly believe that the changes he's seen are what he would have wanted. We were once a club with a very distinct culture and ethos (which he valued) and now we're just a corporate cash cow being ruthlessly milked by a foreign absentee landlord with the help of his bland yes men.

It's a bad business.
    You make Him sound terribly naive. Surely He would've seen all that as inevitable, indeed desirable. Or do they give you economics degrees in Elsaß for collecting enough Kronenbourg bottle tops

Actually, don't answer that. It's France, after all.
    Last edited by redgunamo; 04-24-2018 at 12:31 PM.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

You make Him sound terribly naive. Surely He would've seen all that as inevitable, indeed desirable. Or do they give you economics degrees in Elsaß by collecting Kronenbourg bottle tops

Arsene got sucked into the corporate machine didn't he? £10m per annum?

Or was that his plan all along..?
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Arsene got sucked into the corporate machine didn't he? £10m per annum?

Or was that his plan all along..?
    Typical French MO really; wreak havoc, loot the place, make off with the swag, deny any responsibility; blame the British #YuanmingYuan
    Last edited by redgunamo; 04-24-2018 at 12:30 PM.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Typical French MO really; wreak havoc, loot the place, make off with the swag, deny any responsibility; blame the British #YuanmingYuan
    Yeah but great wine and fit women - we can forgive them a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Yeah but great wine and fit women - we can forgive them a lot
    Absolutely. Quite right.

You make Him sound terribly naive. Surely He would've seen all that as inevitable, indeed desirable. Or do they give you economics degrees in Elsaß for collecting enough Kronenbourg bottle tops

In many ways, he is naive. He believes in honour and works in football. You don't get much more naive than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    In many ways, he is naive. He believes in honour and works in football. You don't get much more naive than that.
    That's why I never really warmed to Him, I think. The wider question of "honour" for Him was entirely personal and nothing to do with the Arsenal Football Club. He is a professional, rather like those awfully tragic chaps in Michael Mann films. And I do not mean that as a compliment.

He did a fantastic job for us; we shan't see His like again.

Oh dear, oh dear......how the AKBs are whining. I can't imagine who they get it from.

If he wants to blame the behaviour of large sections of the fanbase for the fact that he has been held to account for his mismanagement and underachievement many, many years after he should have been then that's his prerogative. Sticks and stones, and all that. The main thing is he has gone, at long last.

Where you are wrong is to say that I or many others who have campaigned relentlessly for this outcome will not give the new manager a chance. Of course we will. While Kronke is at the helm (and in charge of the pursestrings) whoever takes charge will have an uphill struggle, but I hope for the club's sake he is more willing to use the resources that are made available to him than Wenger was for the past 8-10 years.
    Last edited by Yesterday Once More; 04-24-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterday Once More View Post
    Oh dear, oh dear......how the AKBs are whining. I can't imagine who they get it from.

If he wants to blame the behaviour of large sections of the fanbase for the fact that he has been held to account for his mismanagement and underachievement many, many years after he should have been then that's his prerogative. Sticks and stones, and all that. The main thing is he has gone, at long last.

Where you are wrong is to say that I or many others who have campaigned relentlessly for this outcome will not give the new manager a chance. Of course we will. While Kronke is at the helm (and in charge of the pursestrings) whoever takes charge will have an uphill struggle, but I hope for the club's sake he is more willing to use the resources that are made available to him than Wenger was for the past 8-10 years.
    Imagine if we were able to compete for the likes of Michael Keane and Sandro