Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I didn't like yesterday. I thought it should be a more celebratory experience

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I suppose it wouldn't help to point out that I had heard of him then He was actually strongly linked with a job at the FA a year or so before he joined us
    Yeah, I don't think you're really typical, la. In the nicest possible way, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    But Wenger has said some things that won't go down well.

I trust the board to do the right thing here but I have a feeling it's going to be a massive cock up in recent Arsenal style.
    The mood seems to have been about right, imo. More or less as expected. After all, many are disappointed that Wenger is leaving after all, many again will be feeling equally let down that they failed to hound Him out.

The club can be satisfied we've managed the transition pretty well. So far. The tricky bit is done and there only remains the far less taxing question of who to choose as His replacement.

Well done, Wenger, and well done everyone else.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    The mood seems to have been about right, imo. More or less as expected. After all, many are disappointed that Wenger is leaving after all, many again will be feeling equally let down that they failed to hound Him out.

The club can be satisfied we've managed the transition pretty well. So far. The tricky bit is done and there only remains the far less taxing question of who to choose as His replacement.

Well done, Wenger, and well done everyone else.
    It can't be anyone with PL management experience. They'd come with too much baggage.

I found the joy felt by Claude at the news of Wenger stepping down particularly uncomfortable
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It can't be anyone with PL management experience. They'd come with too much baggage.
    No, the point is, it doesn't actually matter who it is. He (or she) will be just another football manager and, equally, we shall have become just another football club
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    No, the point is, it doesn't actually matter who it is. He (or she) will be just another football manager and, equally, we shall have become just another football club
    Oh, I'm resigned to that now. That process started when we sold to Kroenke. This is just the final nail in the coffin.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I suppose it wouldn't help to point out that I had heard of him then He was actually strongly linked with a job at the FA a year or so before he joined us
    I am no expert on european football (I have made that clear over the years) but I had heard of him. How can. You miss a story with a word in it that starts Arsene.....

Either way, he wasnt a 'bloke from Japan'.....he had a very successful career at Monaco.

The issue was a big club appointing a foreign manager. And it turned out it was rather a good idea ifyou get the right one....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I am no expert on european football (I have made that clear over the years) but I had heard of him. How can. You miss a story with a word in it that starts Arsene.....

Either way, he wasnt a 'bloke from Japan'.....he had a very successful career at Monaco.

The issue was a big club appointing a foreign manager. And it turned out it was rather a good idea ifyou get the right one....
    Sorry, p, but you saying you'd heard of him does not alter the fact that most people hadn't. This is why you had headlines like 'Arsene Who?' and pieces like this spectacularly silly piece by Matthew Norman in which he describes AW as 'a Frenchman from Japan with a funny foreign name'. I'm not saying such ignorance was laudable, but it was very much general and very much real.

http://www.thearsenalhistory.com/wp-...Standard-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Sorry, p, but you saying you'd heard of him does not alter the fact that most people hadn't. This is why you had headlines like 'Arsene Who?' and pieces like this spectacularly silly piece by Matthew Norman in which he describes AW as 'a Frenchman from Japan with a funny foreign name'. I'm not saying such ignorance was laudable, but it was very much general and very much real.

http://www.thearsenalhistory.com/wp-...Standard-1.jpg
    I think I am just saying it was pretty ignorant. There were constant references (even from Sir Alex) to him having 'come from JApan' when actually he had been managing a very successful european side and was quite well known in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    There's a part of me hoping for Brendan Rodgers and 5 years of truly mediocre, to teach them a lesson.
    Almost all of me is hoping for that.