Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I didn't like yesterday. I thought it should be a more celebratory experience

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post
    Almost all of me is hoping for that.
    That really is an odd thing for an Arsenal fan to say....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    That really is an odd thing for an Arsenal fan to say....
    I did say almost all. As Burney has noted, what was Arsenal to older fans has pretty much died now. Arsenal Fan TV is more representative than the 'values' we used to have.

I did say almost all. As Burney has noted, what was Arsenal to older fans has pretty much died now. Arsenal Fan TV is more representative than the 'values' we used to have.
    Spot on. I think for a lot of us who no longer feel as attached (and even less so now that AW's going), there is a desire to see the fans who've been baying for his departure get what they deserve.

That is modern football AFCE, not just Arsenal Football Club.

We simply could not stand still with our board of Old Etonian bankers. The change at the club began 20 years ago or more with Fizsman and Dein coming on board.

Arsenal Fan TV is nothing to do with values, it is just a footballing manifestation of modern life and social media. Pig thick shít****s are celebrities despite having no talent or appeal.

That pirate **** in the crowd, a decade ago you had that beret **** in the crowd. Now you have a fat **** who stands outside the ground waiting to interview actual retards for no other reason than the fact they are retards. All desperate for their wee moment in the media spotlight.

I am sure I am almost as old as the two of you (I think I am a bit older than Burney).

I grew up with the old Arsenal of Hill-Woods, bank of england club and footballing mediocrity. But then George Graham appeared and I have been hooked on the idea ever since that Arsenal being good is a wonderful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Spot on. I think for a lot of us who no longer feel as attached (and even less so now that AW's going), there is a desire to see the fans who've been baying for his departure get what they deserve.
    T'other way about, I'd have thought? Without AW, that change may never have occurred. Anyway, not so swiftly and comprehensively.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

I am sure I am almost as old as the two of you (I think I am a bit older than Burney).

I grew up with the old Arsenal of Hill-Woods, bank of england club and footballing mediocrity. But then George Graham appeared and I have been hooked on the idea ever since that Arsenal being good is a wonderful thing.
    But we became a force for evil under GG, p.

Granted it was quite amusing to be the pantomime villains at times, but we were awful between 1991 and 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    T'other way about, I'd have thought? Without AW, that change may never have occurred. Anyway, not so swiftly and comprehensively.
    Sure, but AW managed change rather than drove it, I think.

Being good?

1992-93

Finished 10th. 7 points above the last relegated team.

Tone lifted two cups, dropped one Morrow

That was a pretty successful campaign despite us being very average all season, istr.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Sure, but AW managed change rather than drove it, I think.
    No, we decided money was the way forward, as opposed to old-fashioned "values" or what-ever-have-you, and got AW in precisely because, for one thing, He knew where all the cheap foreigners were hidden. Without Him, we wouldn't have/couldn't have done it; we may have been merely content with our lot and carried on as before, waiting for the Chinese to catch on and pay us billions.

You can't have it both ways by painting Him as a victim of our lost or transformed values; He himself was the key agent of that change. He had met and had become friends with David Dein some years before we made Him manager, don't forget.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."