Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I have to say, I find some of the slobbering over Wenger to be over the top and

I have to say, I find some of the slobbering over Wenger to be over the top and

highly hypocritical.

And don't know anyone - and I mean anyone - who would argue that he wasn't brilliant from 1996-2005. Arguably the best manager in the world at that time. He then embarked on a required, and personally desired, youth project that was both very challenging and yet at the same time appealed to Wenger and the overwhelming majority of the support. It was a project that he deserved given the level of his performance over the previous 9 years.

Sadly, this went wrong and we never achieved what we hoped we would. Circumstance played a part but you can hardly ignore that many of the player decisions he made during that time were simply incorrect. By 2010 it was clear that it had failed and that we needed a new approach. At that point we saw the first real sign of fallibility.

Over the next 7-8 years his performance as manager and the performance of the club degraded slightly but consistently each year until we have reached 6th place, 30 some point behind the leaders and over 10 points behind our hated rivals who have far less money than we do.

Why can we not acknowledge all that without feeling the need to criticize either ourselves or the manager?

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    highly hypocritical.

And don't know anyone - and I mean anyone - who would argue that he wasn't brilliant from 1996-2005. Arguably the best manager in the world at that time. He then embarked on a required, and personally desired, youth project that was both very challenging and yet at the same time appealed to Wenger and the overwhelming majority of the support. It was a project that he deserved given the level of his performance over the previous 9 years.

Sadly, this went wrong and we never achieved what we hoped we would. Circumstance played a part but you can hardly ignore that many of the player decisions he made during that time were simply incorrect. By 2010 it was clear that it had failed and that we needed a new approach. At that point we saw the first real sign of fallibility.

Over the next 7-8 years his performance as manager and the performance of the club degraded slightly but consistently each year until we have reached 6th place, 30 some point behind the leaders and over 10 points behind our hated rivals who have far less money than we do.

Why can we not acknowledge all that without feeling the need to criticize either ourselves or the manager?
    Well, lots of people disagree with you, and, given that, for sentimental reasons, today's anouncement is pretty important to some others, couldn't you keep your flaphole shut for 5 minutes?

It really, really doesn't matter that the whole world isn't acknowledging your genius right now. Other things matter more.

highly hypocritical.

Project Youth only failed because Arsene had a mis-guided belief that players may show similar values to him when it comes to loyalty.

Sadly they did not and, in the most part, saw their careers fall to pieces as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Well, lots of people disagree with you, and, given that, for sentimental reasons, today's anouncement is pretty important to some others, couldn't you keep your flaphole shut for 5 minutes?

It really, really doesn't matter that the whole world isn't acknowledging your genius right now. Other things matter more.
    Oh do shut up you soppy old goat. Our manager has resigned, he will be replaced by someone else and we will move forward.

It's football FFS. Get a hold of yourself.

No. He had to say it.

He actually started that with 'I have to say...'

Maybe he's right? Maybe he does have some sort of psychological compulsion to say things like that? Perhaps he deserves our sympathy?

Or he might just be a truculent gob****e?

Oh do shut up you soppy old goat. Our manager has resigned, he will be replaced by someone else and we will move forward.

It's football FFS. Get a hold of yourself.
    Wer'e not all JCL Mr. Stella. The greatest manager we ever had is leaving. What's happened is that the anxiety over current performances has allowed many to see what the legacy he created.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    No. He had to say it.

Maybe he's right? Maybe he does have some sort of psychological compulsion to say things like that? Perhaps he deserves our sympathy?

I can't imagine an AWIMBer who is more anti this sort of sickly sentimentality than you, Burney. The man who can't wait to wade in post the death of a celebrity and who routinely berates people for losing their objectivity and indulging in faux remorse because it make them feel better about themselves.

And all I really said was that we should appreciate his great years but at the same time recognize his fallibility and understand that it was time for him to move on.

You're funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    No. He had to say it.

He's like an over-excited puppy. One of those ones with massive paws and no self-control or co-ordination, blundering into things and scattering finer feelings, good taste and decency to the four corners of the room, where he will later chew them up before shítting himself in the night and having his nose rubbed in it in the morning.

The puppy in question is a bit retarded, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post
    Wer'e not all JCL Mr. Stella. The greatest manager we ever had is leaving. What's happened is that the anxiety over current performances has allowed many to see what the legacy he created.
    This is true however I am glad he is leaving and my initial reaction to the news earlier was one of not necessarily joy, but simply positive.

I look at the prospect of change and what it may bring as exciting.

Of course it could go belly up but we have a fine group of players and I for one shall be intrigued to see what another manager can get from them.

I am not entirely sure what the JCL reference was added for.

He's like an over-excited puppy. One of those ones with massive paws and no self-control or co-ordination, blundering into things and scattering finer feelings, good taste and decency to the four corners of the room, where he will later chew them up before shítting himself in the night and having his nose rubbed in it in the morning.

The puppy in question is a bit retarded, of course.
    My god that's a pathetic post. As obtuse and irrelevant as it is self-indulgent. You really have lost it.