Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: I've often been suspicious about people who bang on about social media censorship

I've often been suspicious about people who bang on about social media censorship

But after about 3 months of being locked out of my Twitter account, I've just discovered that my account was suspended for a tweet in which I referred to the "systematic covering up of Muslim gangs raping young white girls" on the grounds that it promoted violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    But after about 3 months of being locked out of my Twitter account, I've just discovered that my account was suspended for a tweet in which I referred to the "systematic covering up of Muslim gangs raping young white girls" on the grounds that it promoted violence.
    I do find it odd that we are being bombarded by increasingly hysterical claims (Carole Cadwalladr seems to have gone particularly mad) about paid-for data mining of social media accounts to help Brexit and Trump, but nobody seems to give a sh1t that the same social media companies are explicitly trying to manipulate political opinion by censoring non-compliant opinions. Sure, they're private companies and it's their right to support whatever political stance they choose. However, it seems odd to freak about one form of covert manipulation of voters while ignoring the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I do find it odd that we are being bombarded by increasingly hysterical claims (Carole Cadwalladr seems to have gone particularly mad) about paid-for data mining of social media accounts to help Brexit and Trump, but nobody seems to give a sh1t that the same social media companies are explicitly trying to manipulate political opinion by censoring non-compliant opinions. Sure, they're private companies and it's their right to support whatever political stance they choose. However, it seems odd to freak about one form of covert manipulation of voters while ignoring the other.
    I think it's alright if you get it coming, rather than going. As it were. It seems to be all about getting your own way.

Embarrassing really, but that doesn't seem to mean anything nowadays, even to people who ought to know better
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."