Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I was watching a tv show about the invincibles era

I was watching a tv show about the invincibles era

Rather than look back in fondness it made me sad

why is this? that team should have done more

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    Rather than look back in fondness it made me sad

why is this? that team should have done more
    The absence of a European triumph, or indeed coming close, is often held up as a reason to knock them.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    The absence of a European triumph, or indeed coming close, is often held up as a reason to knock them.
    or not winning back-to-back titles
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

The European thing doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the number of leagues United won between 1998 and 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    or not winning back-to-back titles
    Indeed, a real failure in my book.

In the past we seemed to win a title then rest on our laurels as such instead of using the success as a basis for aggressive strengthening. Of course one has to acknowledge that winning the thing is difficult enough in the first place, to retain it would merely be rubber stamping the team's dominance.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The European thing doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the number of leagues United won between 1998 and 2004.
    Well documented on here that I am no huge fan of Europe apart from in an economic, social and cultural perspective.

One’s domestic league title is always and will always be the first priority to me. We had scattered success in this respect as opposed to sustained.

Certainly 1 was allowed to slip in the period you reference.

Presumably we can use this as another stick with which to bash Arsene?

Well documented on here that I am no huge fan of Europe apart from in an economic, social and cultural perspective.

One’s domestic league title is always and will always be the first priority to me. We had scattered success in this respect as opposed to sustained.

Certainly 1 was allowed to slip in the period you reference.
    It's telling, in fact, that during what we like to call our period of dominance, United won just as many leagues as we did.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It's telling, in fact, that during what we like to call our period of dominance, United won just as many leagues as we did.
    Well they are a significantly bigger club. What constitutes dominance for us is average for them.

SWv2 "The absence of a European triumph, or indeed coming close, is often held up as a reason to knock them."

It really was a missed opportunity given the teams which reached the Semi-Final that year
    And going out to a Wayne Bridge winner in that Quarter at Highbury...

A CL in 04 and another in 06 would have suited me
    10 characters? Pile of cund.