Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lordy, but we were pretty poor last night.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Watch Mustafi's defending on that one. When Wenger does actually move on, I'll be curious to see whether the next manager is capable of acquiring and training defenders who can recognize the need to get close to, and stay with, attacking players in the box.
    I don't get Mustafi at all - one game he is throwing himself madly at everything the next he is statuesque. Seems an intelligent lad from interviews I have seen - probably a bad thing in a defender

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    who have lost to tiny teams like Leganes and Spurs
    So isn't the conclusion that big clubs can often not take small clubs as seriously as they should but that they tend to play their best when they know the opposition is really quite good?

In which case, our name is on the trophy.

I don't get Mustafi at all - one game he is throwing himself madly at everything the next he is statuesque. Seems an intelligent lad from interviews I have seen - probably a bad thing in a defender
    Jackyll and Hyde character. At least you knew where you where with the likes of Djourou and Squillachi.

Intelligence in a defender? No sensible person will put his head in where it shouldn't really be...

exhibit A
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

So isn't the conclusion that big clubs can often not take small clubs as seriously as they should but that they tend to play their best when they know the opposition is really quite good?

In which case, our name is on the trophy.
    Yes - I was thinking of the comparison of our performances against Sutton and Lincoln in the Cup v those against Chelsea and City. Book the Lyons hotel now...

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Jackyll and Hyde character. At least you knew where you where with the likes of Djourou and Squillachi.

Intelligence in a defender? No sensible person will put his head in where it shouldn't really be...

exhibit A
    One of my all time favourite football moments over the last 10 years or so.

If I recall correctly, wasn't Terry - as the cliché goes - out before he hit the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post

exhibit A
    That's cheered me right up, i.

Yes - fair point. I think we can all accept we are talking about a keeper past his prime. I would though even cut him some slack for the second - the ball clearly dipped late (would like to see it from behind the goal). I blame modern balls, sir c - was thinking that when Laca had his chance in the first half - a nice Mersonesque chip would have been perfect here, but modern players simply don't do that anymore, probably because they don't trust the ball. Sad
    Exactly so, the first shot was a horrible thing to deal with. I miss proper balls, la. I miss a proper bend on a ball.

One of my all time favourite football moments over the last 10 years or so.

If I recall correctly, wasn't Terry - as the cliché goes - out before he hit the ground?
    Indeed he was. The only disappointing thing in this incident was the over-concern of Baptista.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

First goal was a fantastic save, would have been hard to get it further away than that - defenders didn't react
    When you compare Cech to a De Gea (perhaps unfair), a Lloris or even a Pickford he looks a little cumbersome, don't you think? I would very much like Jan Oblak to join in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I miss a proper bend on a ball.
    Indeed. Seem to see a lot more shots nowadays when the ball does not spin at all..?