Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You do realise that it's currently the equivalent of October 1914

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Nobody starts wars in November. Weather's too dreadful. In fact, it could be argued that the Germans had already effectively lost the war by October 1914. It just took them four years to realise it.

When it comes to thermonuclear devices, I'm not sure where I stand these days. When one lived in London, one could at least be fairly certain you'd at least die in the blast rather than a lingering death from radiation sickness and whatnot. Now I don't know.
    The radiation stuff is all lefty propaganda, apparently. I read about it a couple of years ago. According to this random article on the internet, if the effects of radiation were as severe as we are led to believe, about half a million people would have died of cancer in the years following Chernobyl. The actual number of cases was about 17. These numbers may not be 100% accurate, but you get the gist.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    True. War should always be declared in favourable weather. Hitler declared war on the US in a December. Silly boy......
    Well yes. But he wasn't actually planning any land-based military operations against them when he did so.

With hindsight, you really do have to wonder what on earth he was thinking. He wasn't obliged to declare war against them, after all, the lunatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    The radiation stuff is all lefty propaganda, apparently. I read about it a couple of years ago. According to this random article on the internet, if the effects of radiation were as severe as we are led to believe, about half a million people would have died of cancer in the years following Chernobyl. The actual number of cases was about 17. These numbers may not be 100% accurate, but you get the gist.
    I have read similar, actually. The dangers of Chernobyl were massively exaggerated - mostly by German greens and similar who wanted to demonise nuclear power in all its guises.

I have read similar, actually. The dangers of Chernobyl were massively exaggerated - mostly by German greens and similar who wanted to demonise nuclear power in all its guises.
    ***ishima, seems to be similar. Granted it's been a much shorter period of time, but bar the mad *******s that actually went in to cap the thing, there appears not to have been any significant cancer increase
    Last edited by PSRB; 04-11-2018 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    ***ishima, seems to be similar. Granted it's mean a much shorter period of time, but bar the mad *******s that actually went in to cap the thing, there appears not to have been any significant cancer increase
    Didn't a bunch of old people volunteer to do that in Japan on the grounds that they'd had their innings and it made sense.

I think we should do this with our elderly. Give them really dangerous jobs in return for a one-off payment for their families. It would solve the pensions crisis at a stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Do you not think Trump may be bluffing? I'd have thought he'd have struck by now.

Apparently May is going to contribute 1 x RAF Voyager for air to air refueling

Also, Putin isn't going to shoot an F-22 out of the sky because 1) he doesn't have the minerals and 2) because he doesn't have the resources to do so.
    Well, with his latest Twitter outburst I rather suspect that the bluffing option has been defenestrated!

""Russia vows to shoot down any and all missiles fired at Syria. Get ready Russia, because they will be coming, nice and new and “smart!” You shouldn’t be partners with a Gas Killing Animal who kills his people and enjoys it!""

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Well, with his latest Twitter outburst I rather suspect that the bluffing option has been defenestrated!

""Russia vows to shoot down any and all missiles fired at Syria. Get ready Russia, because they will be coming, nice and new and “smart!” You shouldn’t be partners with a Gas Killing Animal who kills his people and enjoys it!""
    The Donald has realised - as Lord Palmerston did 150 years before him - that "The policy and practice of the Russian Government has always been to push forward its encroachments as fast and as far as the apathy or want of firmness of other Governments would allow it to go, but always to stop and retire when it met with decided resistance and then to wait for the next favourable opportunity."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    How very rude.

I'm surprised at you, a. Surprised, and a little disappointed.

You did sort of walk into that one, c.
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    You did sort of walk into that one, c.
    Still nor fair to mock an old man, though, a

Well yes. But he wasn't actually planning any land-based military operations against them when he did so.

With hindsight, you really do have to wonder what on earth he was thinking. He wasn't obliged to declare war against them, after all, the lunatic.
    I think he was thinking ahead. He wanted greater cooperation with Japan as he saw them as a potential help against the Soviet Union at some point. More importantly, he believed, correctly, that the USA would now inevitably enter the war and declare war on Germany. Most leaders prefer that, to show they were provoked. Hitler didnt give a fuclk and wanted to get in there first, partly to show Japan he was serious.

THis wasnt his big mistake, not really. THat was invading the Soviet Union in June. Had he done that in March/april he might have had a slight of establishing control and a firm base before winter fell. Doing it in June meant that Stalin simply needed to pull back and wait.

Once the tide turned in the eastern war Hitler was dead and buried.