Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Most overrated band of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I made a similar comment about Springsteen's insistence on using THunder Road as an acoustic singalong party piece at the end of every ****ing gig. But then, you know, its his gig an all that.
    But it's not his gig, is it? It's the gig of the paying customers, isn't it? If I go to the butcher to buy some chops and he insists on selling them to me pre-minted, I'm not going to say 'It's his gig', am I? I'm going to tell him to fvck off and buy my chops elsewhere. Why should I be expected to put up with similar arrogance from Bruce fvcking Springsteen?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    But it's not his gig, is it? It's the gig of the paying customers, isn't it? If I go to the butcher to buy some chops and he insists on selling them to me pre-minted, I'm not going to say 'It's his gig', am I? I'm going to tell him to fvck off and buy my chops elsewhere. Why should I be expected to put up with similar arrogance from Bruce fvcking Springsteen?
    Because he is The Boss?

A musical Paul Ince if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Because he is The Boss?

A musical Paul Ince if you will.
    He is not the Boss of me, sw. Not by a long chalk.

Of course, the worst man for this is Dylan. I simply cannot understand why anyone who loves any of Dylan's songs would go to see him live given that he invariably renders them unrecognisable.

Because the alternative is what you have previously described as 'corrupt art'. You dont just play the songs people want to hear anymore than you record the songs that the biggest number of people will want to buy.

Of course, you should still play the songs people want to hear, to some extent, particularly when those songs are clearly your best ****ing songs, whether the most popular or successful. Springsteen cant just play the ones you want to hear because he plays a different set each night. If he didnt, well.... it would get a bit boring and going to see him would be the same as going to see every other artist instead of being a genuinely remarkable, unforgettable experience that you become determined to repeat.

That said, if I went to see James and they didnt do Come Home I would ****ing kick off....

Of course, the worst man for this is Dylan. I simply cannot understand why anyone who loves any of Dylan's songs would go to see him live given that he invariably renders them unrecognisable.
    Fair point. I love Dylan but have never been terribly interested in seeing him live. My regret is never seeing Leonard Cohen live.

I went along to see Neil Young a few years back and there was nearly an uprising as he didn't play Harvest or whatever specific album people wanted to hear, despite the gig being very clearly labelled as being him and Crazy Horse.

There was letters to the Irish Times and all I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Fair point. I love Dylan but have never been terribly interested in seeing him live. My regret is never seeing Leonard Cohen live.
    For me, it seems pretty obvious that Dylan has simply been taking the p1ss out of his live audiences for decades now. The fact that they keep coming back for more must be a constant source of amusement to the miserable old cvnt.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I went along to see Neil Young a few years back and there was nearly an uprising as he didn't play Harvest or whatever specific album people wanted to hear, despite the gig being very clearly labelled as being him and Crazy Horse.

There was letters to the Irish Times and all I think.
    I saw him in Finsbury Park. Very boring, it went on and on and on. THe Waterboys were supporting- they were superb.

Here we see The Market operating as advertised, b. Bruce Springsteen used to play lengthy sets which sometimes included reworked versions of some of his songs, but since you refused to attend he has amended his ways and now just plays everything exactly the same way as on the record.

wd b.

For me, it seems pretty obvious that Dylan has simply been taking the p1ss out of his live audiences for decades now. The fact that they keep coming back for more must be a constant source of amusement to the miserable old cvnt.
    I heard his Christmas album. Jesus ****ing Christ.....