Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Most overrated band of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by 71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat View Post
    Probably the biggest disappointment I've ever seen in a live band. Loved them since the 1980's - saw them for the first time a couple of years back - they were utter shíte
    I saw them about 10 years ago and they were great.

Mike Scott may have disappeared up his own árse though, given his twittering.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

Yes - that's exactly it. Seemed to be more interested in free-form jazz than anything resembling decent music. I was very disappoint. Thank god for The Stranglers who were the support and were fantastic.
    When I was young and full of rage
    I hated Tottenham to the core
    But now I've reached a gentler age
    I hate the fůckers even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I saw them about 10 years ago and they were great.

I think the beauty of Mike Scott is that he has always been thoroughly up his own arse. His ability to prioritise that over commercial success is one of the things that I have always admired about him.

One of the issues with seeing them live is you have to work out which version of the band you are seeing. It changes all the time. No point in rolling up wanting to hear Fishermans Blues and Room to Roam if he is touring without the fiddle man.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Then let us return to common ground. I shall be going to see The Waterboys in Cambridge in a few weeks.
    Excellent. They played here just before Xmas but I refused to go on the basis of the venue being the O2.

Nothing lined up here. I was thinking of The The but I believe it sold out.

Yes - that's exactly it. Seemed to be more interested in free-form jazz than anything resembling decent music. I was very disappoint. Thank god for The Stranglers who were the support and were fantastic.
    THis is the point. THat is what he is like. You just have to respect the artistic process I suppose....

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Excellent. They played here just before Xmas but I refused to go on the basis of the venue being the O2.

Nothing lined up here. I was thinking of The The but I believe it sold out.
    I was 50/50 but eventually decided that I like him, and should give it a go. **** all else to do here.

THis is the point. THat is what he is like. You just have to respect the artistic process I suppose....
    If he'd even done stuff from his self-indulgent WB Yeats album I would have been slightly appeased but it was all böllocks. To cap it off they were due to finish with The Whole of the Moon but the organisers pulled the plug - beach gig...****s.
    When I was young and full of rage
    I hated Tottenham to the core
    But now I've reached a gentler age
    I hate the fůckers even more.

Yes, this is why I'm not interested in live music. If I pay for a product, as a consumer I want that product, not what some cvnt of a jumped-up busker thinks I should get because some cvnt told him he was an artist and he swallowed it.

If I go to a concert and you decide to play my favourite song in half-time or as a fvcking calypso, I'm not going to be happy and I'm definitely not coming back.

If he'd even done stuff from his self-indulgent WB Yeats album I would have been slightly appeased but it was all böllocks. To cap it off they were due to finish with The Whole of the Moon but the organisers pulled the plug - beach gig...****s.
    Where and when was this?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes, this is why I'm not interested in live music. If I pay for a product, as a consumer I want that product, not what some cvnt of a jumped-up busker thinks I should get because some cvnt told him he was an artist and he swallowed it.

If I go to a concert and you decide to play my favourite song in half-time or as a fvcking calypso, I'm not going to be happy and I'm definitely not coming back.
    I made a similar comment about Springsteen's insistence on using THunder Road as an acoustic singalong party piece at the end of every ****ing gig. But then, you know, its his gig an all that.