Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
But it's not his gig, is it? It's the gig of the paying customers, isn't it? If I go to the butcher to buy some chops and he insists on selling them to me pre-minted, I'm not going to say 'It's his gig', am I? I'm going to tell him to fvck off and buy my chops elsewhere. Why should I be expected to put up with similar arrogance from Bruce fvcking Springsteen?
Because the alternative is what you have previously described as 'corrupt art'. You dont just play the songs people want to hear anymore than you record the songs that the biggest number of people will want to buy.

Of course, you should still play the songs people want to hear, to some extent, particularly when those songs are clearly your best ****ing songs, whether the most popular or successful. Springsteen cant just play the ones you want to hear because he plays a different set each night. If he didnt, well.... it would get a bit boring and going to see him would be the same as going to see every other artist instead of being a genuinely remarkable, unforgettable experience that you become determined to repeat.

That said, if I went to see James and they didnt do Come Home I would ****ing kick off....