Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bellerin’s dip in form...

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Any sensible person should be, it's just not right.
    I do hope you sent the BIL a quick text asking him if he had managed to find Leroy Sane yet?

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Any sensible person should be, it's just not right.
    Not to be does display a remarkable lack of imagination to my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Not to be does display a remarkable lack of imagination to my mind.
    To my mind it displays a lack of logic and analytical ability.

The engineering science says it's safe, the statistics tell you that you are more likely to die crossing the road, hence to be more afraid of flying than crossing the road is illogical and suggests a non-analytical mind.

So someone that didn't study science or engineering in university, as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post

The engineering science says it's safe, the statistics tell you that you are more likely to die crossing the road, hence to be more afraid of flying than crossing the road is illogical and suggests a non-analytical mind.

So someone that didn't study science or engineering in university, as an example.
    That you assume fear of flying is about the fear of dying I'm afraid typifies the lack of empathy and imagination that normal people associate with the spectrum-dwellers who study science and engineering.

It's a fear of flying.
    Last edited by Burney; 04-03-2018 at 03:19 PM.

More likely to die crossing the road. Something everyone does twenty times a day versus something many people wont do twenty times in their lifetime. This is without factoring in that one is completely within your control and abilities and the other completely without.

Classic flawed statistic. It means precisely nothing. You are more likely to tread in dog **** than unicorn ****. You are more likely to get killed reading AWIMB than dangling over the edge of the grand canyon singing Reel Around the Fountain.

And if I am more scared of crossing the road than flying does this make both logical?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    That you assume fear of flying is about the fear of dying I'm afraid typifies the lack of empathy and imagination that normal people associate with the spectrum-dwellers who study science and engineering.

It's a fear of flying.
    Yes you're right. I don't get that at all. Why would I be afraid of something that statistics show is incredibly unlikely to hurt me in any way? It makes no sense. It is illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    More likely to die crossing the road. Something everyone does twenty times a day versus something many people wont do twenty times in their lifetime. This is without factoring in that one is completely within your control and abilities and the other completely without.

Classic flawed statistic. It means precisely nothing. You are more likely to tread in dog **** than unicorn ****. You are more likely to get killed reading AWIMB than dangling over the edge of the grand canyon singing Reel Around the Fountain.

And if I am more scared of crossing the road than flying does this make both logical?
    No, being more scared of crossing the road is logical, how scared is open to debate and largely depends on how much of a big girl's blouse you are.

What is illogical is being afraid of flying but not afraid of crossing the road. And it is not in any way a flawed statistic. It is simply logical. I have no fear of flying because I am logical and the choice is to spend my life terrified of a great many things or to not be afraid of something that is incredibly unlikely to ever harm me. I choose the latter because I am an intelligent, logical person.

Don't get me started on dentists, needles or snakes however.

Yes you're right. I don't get that at all. Why would I be afraid of something that statistics show is incredibly unlikely to hurt me in any way? It makes no sense. It is illogical.
    its the way you potentially die, innit. knowing that the descent you're on will last a minute and will 100% kill you, compared to getting unexpectedly flattened by a bus.

Shít logic, agreed, but there you go...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Do you always insist that everyone's fears must be logical? Do you think you might be missing something about the nature of fear?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Do you always insist that everyone's fears must be logical? Do you think you might be missing something about the nature of fear?
    Yes and no. What with me being a proper man and not a big girl's blouse and everything.