Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My worry is that this anti-Semitism stuff has a limited shelf-life and will blow over

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The danger is that, by hammering away at the one issue, it starts to look like a Tory strategy rather than genuine outrage at new revelations as they emerge. If it becomes too obvious that you're seeking to destroy an individual, you can too easily increase sympathy for him. Better instead to keep the anti-semitism bubbling under as a means to undermine his claims to the moral high ground while continuing to chip away at the public's already shaky confidence in him as a potential leader.

Mind you, I genuinely don't believe this country will ever vote for a Corbyn-led government, so getting rid of him isn't a priority to me. At present, I think the best thing all round is a Labour party at war with itself and thus unable to provide a coherent opposition. For that, it's best that Corbyn remain in place.
    But you seemed to think it was possible that the final Brexit deal would be voted down by Parliament, which would certainly lead to a new Tory leader and a General Election. You're still confident that Corbyn wouldn't be voted in under those circumstances?

The danger is that, by hammering away at the one issue, it starts to look like a Tory strategy rather than genuine outrage at new revelations as they emerge. If it becomes too obvious that you're seeking to destroy an individual, you can too easily increase sympathy for him. Better instead to keep the anti-semitism bubbling under as a means to undermine his claims to the moral high ground while continuing to chip away at the public's already shaky confidence in him as a potential leader.

Mind you, I genuinely don't believe this country will ever vote for a Corbyn-led government, so getting rid of him isn't a priority to me. At present, I think the best thing all round is a Labour party at war with itself and thus unable to provide a coherent opposition. For that, it's best that Corbyn remain in place.
    So you want an opposotion that isn't coherent??? I would have thought that having a strong opposition is a benefit to the country, having a rubbish opposition means the Govt can act how it likes without the best interest of the country at heart.
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    when media interest returns to more interminable issues like Brexit and all this Facebook data wánkery.

However, it would be utterly criminal of the Tory party not to do everything in their power to ensure the story keeps rolling and that further damage is inflicted.The fact that the shadow cabinet – and in more moderate language the leadership itself – has now acknowledged institutional racism within its own party, there are still huge opportunities to be had.

I have absolutely no faith that these opportunities will be grasped, but if I was a Tory strategist I’d be mobilising every Tory MP, local councillor and supporter around the country to help do the following at the very least.

1) Continue to taint Corbyn by association by dredging up all of the times he’s turned a blind eye, or failed to adequately respond , to anti-Semitism in his party (of which there must be at least 50 examples since he was made leader). But crucially, discourage people from EVER explicitly referring to Corbyn himself as an anti-Semite, as this will too easily be shrugged off by his supporters and non-partisan observers as conspiratorial and part of a smear campaign (we learned from the general election that this isn’t effective)

2) Use this whole episode to implicate Momentum as being central to the (now officially recognised) institutional anti-Semitism within the Labour party. Achieve this by airing the fact that not a single Momentum member has stepped into the breach and condemned (or even acknowledged) this institutional racism. If no-one at Momentum – individually or collectively - is willing to do this, they must therefore be considered part of the problem.

3) Take a leaf out of the Allans’ book and play the race card at every opportunity. Monitor social media for any pronouncements made by Labour members and supporters who refuse to toe the new party line and continue to claim this is all a conspiracy designed to undermine Corbyn - and of course anyone who criticises Israel. The atmosphere right now means that any such claim will be considered, at the very least, part of the problem. Literally any time someone issues this sentiment, share it widely, retweet it and tag Corbyn’s Twitter account, asking him that he’s going to do about it. Pile on the pressure and don’t stop. The right wing media will help fan these flames and even the centre left media can’t help themselves when it comes to airing twitter storms.

Literally none of this will happen because the Tories are fúcking useless
    And so Labour people are anti-semitic because they nod to the opinions of the man in the street? This average worker person believes, to some extent, in the might of the Rothschilds and fears being taken advantage of by "Jews." Is that it? So the Labour leaders are pandering filth who should be hit over the head with a shovel?

Gottit, proceed.

But you seemed to think it was possible that the final Brexit deal would be voted down by Parliament, which would certainly lead to a new Tory leader and a General Election. You're still confident that Corbyn wouldn't be voted in under those circumstances?
    No. Oddly enough, I don't. However, as I say, I think even the vague possibility of Corbyn becoming PM has a suitably sobering effect on the Tories and prevents them going completely spastic.

All in all, he has a value.

Quote Originally Posted by eastgermanautos View Post
    And so Labour people are anti-semitic because they nod to the opinions of the man in the street? This average worker person believes, to some extent, in the might of the Rothschilds and fears being taken advantage of by "Jews." Is that it? So the Labour leaders are pandering filth who should be hit over the head with a shovel?

Gottit, proceed.
    The average Joe in this country is absolutely not anti-semitic because he never gives jews a second thought.

Try wandering around Golder's Green on a Saturday lunchtime seeking an honest salt beef sandwich, as I once did, and you'll quickly learn just how quickly anti-semitism can rise in the breast of the most liberal of thinkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    The average Joe in this country is absolutely not anti-semitic because he never gives jews a second thought.

Try wandering around Golder's Green on a Saturday lunchtime seeking an honest salt beef sandwich, as I once did, and you'll quickly learn just how quickly anti-semitism can rise in the breast of the most liberal of thinkers.
    You need to duck north up the Finchey Road towards Temple Fortune to get a decent salt beef sandwich around there. Charming little family-run deli on the left by the Henley's Corner intersection. Oddly, when I visited a weeks ago there were a couple of Allans clad in all the gear sitting having a cup of tea.

Nice, I suppose.

You need to duck north up the Finchey Road towards Temple Fortune to get a decent salt beef sandwich around there. Charming little family-run deli on the left by the Henley's Corner intersection. Oddly, when I visited a weeks ago there were a couple of Allans clad in all the gear sitting having a cup of tea.

Nice, I suppose.
    Open on a Saturday morning? Hmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

I find that any appearance on television by Alan Yentob can make me go a bit Der Sturmer, tbh.

I find that any appearance on television by Alan Yentob can make me go a bit Der Sturmer, tbh.
    David Baddiel, for me. It doesn't help that his obnoxious appearance is indelibly linked with his Jewishness.

Weird hearing him talk about this stuff yesterday. He said if Labour can get a grip of the problem, he'll continue to vote for them. So he's happy to vote for a man that's called Hamas and Hezbollah his friends and offered his hand of friendship to a man imprisoned for issuing the blood libel? Right you are, David.

David Baddiel, for me. It doesn't help that his obnoxious appearance is indelibly linked with his Jewishness.

Weird hearing him talk about this stuff yesterday. He said if Labour can get a grip of the problem, he'll continue to vote for them. So he's happy to vote for a man that's called Hamas and Hezbollah his friends and offered his hand of friendship to a man imprisoned for issuing the blood libel? Right you are, David.
    Yes. But he gets really upset when Tottenham fans refer to themselves as yids. Odd moral compass he's got there.