Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surely the most meaningless recent news story that has received significant coverage

Surely the most meaningless recent news story that has received significant coverage

is the Leave campaign going about 600K over the spending limit?

Does anyone really think it made any difference or really give a toss?

Other than Ian Harvey, I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    is the Leave campaign going about 600K over the spending limit?

Does anyone really think it made any difference or really give a toss?

Other than Ian Harvey, I mean.
    Nope. It's just a respectable middle-class conspiracy theory that relies for its impact on the essentially snobbish idea that those who voted Leave are malleable, mentally-deficient slobs who can be led by the nose. Meanwhile, of course, all Remain voters are cast as deep political and economic thinkers who are entirely resistant to political manipulation.

In short, it's balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Nope. It's just a respectable middle-class conspiracy theory that relies for its impact on the essentially snobbish idea that those who voted Leave are malleable, mentally-deficient slobs who can be led by the nose. Meanwhile, of course, all Remain voters are cast as deep political and economic thinkers who are entirely resistant to political manipulation.

In short, it's balls.
    Leave voters are all inherently racist as well, lets not forget that.......

In short, it's balls.
    No, it isnt. It is the belief that democracy is not merely an arbitrary expression of the public will but a process, adhered to by all. Every democracyin history has acknowledged this.

THose rules ensure a fair, free and open election. Where they are trampled upon a meaningful public mandate cannot possibly exist as a result. There is no choice here- we simply must hold another referendum, if democracy is to mean anything in these islands.

As an ardent defender of democracy you will obviously agree

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    No, it isnt. It is the belief that democracy is not merely an arbitrary expression of the public will but a process, adhered to by all. Every democracyin history has acknowledged this.

THose rules ensure a fair, free and open election. Where they are trampled upon a meaningful public mandate cannot possibly exist as a result. There is no choice here- we simply must hold another referendum, if democracy is to mean anything in these islands.

You've seriously overplayed your hand there, Peter old bean.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    You've seriously overplayed your hand there, Peter old bean.
    We either cherish democracy or we do not

Remain were supported by public money spent by the ACTUAL FVCKING GOVERNMENT on leaflets telling us to vote for it.

Remainers just sound like card sharps complaining that the other guy cheated better

Remain were supported by public money spent by the ACTUAL FVCKING GOVERNMENT on leaflets telling us to vote for it.

Remainers just sound like card sharps complaining that the other guy cheated better
    So you admit they cheated

So you admit they cheated
    Actually, I neither know nor care whether they cheated. I'm just saying that I find the establishment and its supporters' fury that the massive intrinsic advantages held by the Remain camp still weren't enough to win it the referendum and their desperate flailing about for any other reason to explain it than the fact that a majority really wanted to leave the EU by turns amusing and pathetic.

Actually, I neither know nor care whether they cheated. I'm just saying that I find the establishment and its supporters' fury that the massive intrinsic advantages held by the Remain camp still weren't enough to win it the referendum and their desperate flailing about for any other reason to explain it than the fact that a majority really wanted to leave the EU by turns amusing and pathetic.
    Even when the reason is accurate......

This latest outrage comes not from remainers but from within the Brexit campaign. It appears to be at least in part the fall out from a gay relationship that went bad......

The whole issue of election funding/campaign rules/foreign interference/social media..... a lot of it passes me by. As much as you can control the hard money going into campaigns you cannot control the influence of external organisations or the soft money that campaigns on issues around the time of an election.

We are allowed to voice an opinion arent we? whether we means me and you or the CEO of Wetherspoons, or a former president of a foreign power, or even a social media site.

What does a free election mean if some are denied a voice? Its a tricky one....