Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If we did win the Europa Cup, it would be rather odd in the future to look

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    You and Monty are both entirely correct, he has been a brilliant manager and his record over his tenure will show that. However said success cannot take away from the fact that the last few years have largely been unsatisfactory and I don't mean that as a spoilt brat type comment.

Football has changed almost beyond recognition all the same. As you say when you started you compared then with Bertie Mee's time.

You reference Man U under Ferguson, even that is an almost unknown to young kids now who associate City with success whereas to you and I they were a joke club for many many years. United pre Ferguson, 25+ years without a title.

Liverpool now vs Liverpool of the 70s/80s.
    I dreamt about Kevin Keegan the other night
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    You are right that football has changed. It does tend to highlight that Ferguson's true brilliance (and I hate saying this) was his ability to freshen his perspective, his back room staff and his approaches to keep up. He also managed to keep a hugely successful squad hungry each season and wasnt afraid to dismantle his side, or remove key players, as and when he felt it necessary.

Wenger's 'stubborness' does get in the way here. Arguably we are also seeing the first signs of football leaving Mourinho behind as he struggles to make his usual impact at United.
    Well yes all well and good but we should never overlook the fact that they were spending monies on a level that more or less every other club could not compete with and when some did they were also caught up and overtaken.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    I dreamt about Kevin Keegan the other night
    was he falling off a bike?

that gives me the opportunity to post this again...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Well yes all well and good but we should never overlook the fact that they were spending monies on a level that more or less every other club could not compete with and when some did they were also caught up and overtaken.
    Well.... he won the league in his final season. THeir dominance was ended by the influx of gigantic sums of money but I dont think you can argue that they were overtaken until he left. THe extent of that shows the full effect of his departure.

Now they spend a fortune and are not able to catch up.....

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    was he falling off a bike?

that gives me the opportunity to post this again...
    Great television.

Brian Jacks on the parallel bars. Blimey.

I've read a detailed review of the Champions League match in London at http://www.arsenalnews.org/ and made a conclusion that Wenger will continue to coach the team simply because he guarantees some stability. The Gunners' owners do not want to repeat the Chelsea's history before the arrival of Antonio Conte or an incredible story with Leicester in the 2015/2016 season..

My suspicion is that the 2 yr contract was decided upon as follows:

Year 1 - Find a new manager to coach the side and suitable replacements for all the extra tasks Wenger was supposed to be doing by quite clearly f ucked up because of his work load.

Year 2 - in case they don’t get all their chips into play they have the safety net of Wenger....if everything is sorted then thank you, goodbye and an extremely generous payoff.

I’m guessing the age discrimination card is just an attempt to max out his final payout from us.