Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If we did win the Europa Cup, it would be rather odd in the future to look

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    so in other words, yes he did
    I can't deny it, Arsenal finished 5th in 95-96. AND, only 19 points behind the Champions.

And, he had a ruck with Keegan.

in hindsight, he wasn't that bad.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    back at what were by everyone's admission a wholly unsatisfactory final few years under Wenger and see a haul of 4 trophies (the same number won by Spurs over 35 years).

Just sayin'...
    Same could be said for the last years of GG - three trophies and on course for a Euro final, but even without the brown paper bag there was huge disgruntlement at the way things were going

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Same could be said for the last years of GG - three trophies and on course for a Euro final, but even without the brown paper bag there was huge disgruntlement at the way things were going
    That's a fair comparison. I guess the moral of the story is, if you don't want your fans to turn against you, don't win the league.

That's a fair comparison. I guess the moral of the story is, if you don't want your fans to turn against you, don't win the league.
    we didn't wait for him to win the league apparently...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Looks like the club didn't forget the role of "Alan Esparza" in that affair

http://www.onlinegooner.com/article....clusive&id=111

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Well, if we had got Cruyff instead, he definitely wouldn't have lasted as long as AW
    When I was young and full of rage
    I hated Tottenham to the core
    But now I've reached a gentler age
    I hate the fùckers even more.

Looks like the club didn't forget the role of "Alan Esparza" in that affair

http://www.onlinegooner.com/article....clusive&id=111
    a top piece of grudge bearing there, Clive

Quote Originally Posted by 71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat View Post
    Well, if we had got Cruyff instead, he definitely wouldn't have lasted as long as AW
    gpwm, 71

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    He makes a good point, I think. When I started standing on the North Bank, we looked back in amazement and envy at the glories of Bertie Mee's double team; yet their achievement was a Fairs Cup, an FA cup and a league. Not exactly Man U under Ferguson, but it still seemed wildly successful to us.

Come the day when the spoilt within our fan base have succombed to syphilis or scurvy, perhaps the majority will return to having reasonable, realistic expectations.
    You and Monty are both entirely correct, he has been a brilliant manager and his record over his tenure will show that. However said success cannot take away from the fact that the last few years have largely been unsatisfactory and I don't mean that as a spoilt brat type comment.

Football has changed almost beyond recognition all the same. As you say when you started you compared then with Bertie Mee's time.

You reference Man U under Ferguson, even that is an almost unknown to young kids now who associate City with success whereas to you and I they were a joke club for many many years. United pre Ferguson, 25+ years without a title.

Liverpool now vs Liverpool of the 70s/80s.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    You and Monty are both entirely correct, he has been a brilliant manager and his record over his tenure will show that. However said success cannot take away from the fact that the last few years have largely been unsatisfactory and I don't mean that as a spoilt brat type comment.

Football has changed almost beyond recognition all the same. As you say when you started you compared then with Bertie Mee's time.

You reference Man U under Ferguson, even that is an almost unknown to young kids now who associate City with success whereas to you and I they were a joke club for many many years. United pre Ferguson, 25+ years without a title.

Liverpool now vs Liverpool of the 70s/80s.
    You are right that football has changed. It does tend to highlight that Ferguson's true brilliance (and I hate saying this) was his ability to freshen his perspective, his back room staff and his approaches to keep up. He also managed to keep a hugely successful squad hungry each season and wasnt afraid to dismantle his side, or remove key players, as and when he felt it necessary.

Wenger's 'stubborness' does get in the way here. Arguably we are also seeing the first signs of football leaving Mourinho behind as he struggles to make his usual impact at United.