Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If we did win the Europa Cup, it would be rather odd in the future to look

If we did win the Europa Cup, it would be rather odd in the future to look

back at what were by everyone's admission a wholly unsatisfactory final few years under Wenger and see a haul of 4 trophies (the same number won by Spurs over 35 years).

Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    back at what were by everyone's admission a wholly unsatisfactory final few years under Wenger and see a haul of 4 trophies (the same number won by Spurs over 35 years).

Just sayin'...
    Unlike you to spout off about stuff like this yet again
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Unlike you to spout off about stuff like this yet again
    Unlike you to issue a snarky reply.

Conclusion: we are both ****s in our own unique ways

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post

Just sayin'...
    Or people might look at league performances and final league positions during those years, the undoubted decline of the side, and factor in the failure to qualify for the CL in successive seasons after two decades of annual qualification.

Others have caught us up and overtaken us, no shame in that of course though maybe we have played our own part in that.

The EL, which would be nice to win of course, cannot be viewed in any way other than the very poor relation of the European Cup, a quick browse through the teams we have beaten to reach this stage, and the actual quality of the games in the tournament more importantly, will reinforce that belief. Fulham and Celtic have reached finals in this tournament over the years ffs.

The 3 FA Cup wins was of course an achievement but even then this domestic cup has lost some of its sheen even when viewed in comparison to wins earlier in his tenure.

The comparison with Spurs is a total irrelevance.

Of course you would still be coming along with these utterly pointless and moronic posts.

Hope that is in some way the reaction you so clearly sought.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Or people might look at league performances and final league positions during those years, the undoubted decline of the side, and factor in the failure to qualify for the CL in successive seasons after two decades of annual qualification.

Others have caught us up and overtaken us, no shame in that of course though maybe we have played our own part in that.

The EL, which would be nice to win of course, cannot be viewed in any way other than the very poor relation of the European Cup, a quick browse through the teams we have beaten to reach this stage, and the actual quality of the games in the tournament more importantly, will reinforce that belief. Fulham and Celtic have reached finals in this tournament over the years ffs.

The 3 FA Cup wins was of course an achievement but even then this domestic cup has lost some of its sheen even when viewed in comparison to wins earlier in his tenure.

Of course you would still be coming along with these utterly pointless and moronic posts.

I guess my point was that when our grandchildren ask us why Arsene Wenger left and we sit them on our knee, tenderly stroke the arch of their back under their jumpers and gently explain that he turned into a useless shít**** in the last few years of his tenure, then they might well look at the stats and be somewhat confused that he could have left under such a sour note.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post

He makes a good point, I think. When I started standing on the North Bank, we looked back in amazement and envy at the glories of Bertie Mee's double team; yet their achievement was a Fairs Cup, an FA cup and a league. Not exactly Man U under Ferguson, but it still seemed wildly successful to us.

Come the day when the spoilt within our fan base have succombed to syphilis or scurvy, perhaps the majority will return to having reasonable, realistic expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Come the day when the spoilt within our fan base have succombed to syphilis or scurvy, perhaps the majority will return to having reasonable, realistic expectations.
    I quite agree, and in many, many ways, AW is a victim of his own success.

The younger members of the Arsenal fan base will not remember the attritional years at all.

If only we'd kept Rioch on for another 20 years...that would have learned 'em.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    I quite agree, and in many, many ways, AW is a victim of his own success.

The younger members of the Arsenal fan base will not remember the attritional years at all.

If only we'd kept Rioch on for another 20 years...that would have learned 'em.
    Didn't he finish 5th in his only season in charge? so higher the AW's last one #fingerscrossed

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Didn't he finish 5th in his only season in charge? so higher the AW's last one #fingerscrossed
    Dennis did that. Not Bruce.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Dennis did that. Not Bruce.
    so in other words, yes he did