Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
A scruffy argument but certainly a factor. I am not even sure I would call it a Brexit protest vote. The aftermath of the referendum saw a considerable rebalancing in voting behaviour as UKIP voters did not in every case return to their fold. It remains to be seen whether that was a protest or a long term shift in behaviour.

As I have said before, the Conservatives are very worried. In three elections following a global collapse presided over by the Labour Party, and following 13 years out of power, they have managed one tiny majority- and even that depended on a promise of a referendum. Traditional patterns would have seen them walk the 2010 and 2015 elections. I sense something bigger than just Brexit.
Sure, UKIP voters returning to Labour after they'd made a manifesto commitment to a meaningful Brexit was certainly a factor too.

Of course there's plenty more than Brexit at play. The disaster of the housing market and a sense that austerity (while once a necessity) has gone on for too long, for kick off.