Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: That is a seriously **** team. Awful full backs, dreadful midfield and a useless

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    The 80s is often very unfairly maligned as a bad period for music and is terribly inaccurate, similar to how many people frown on the management of GG at Arsenal focusing only on the latter period and forgetting the brilliance of the earlier years.

The 80s had obviously The Jam and The Style Council but also bands such as The Smiths, Pixies, The Pogues, The Waterboys and then towards the end The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and the early days of The Wonder Stuff, PWEI and many others.
    Music is often packaged as 'movements' by the record industry and media rather than the simple trend/fashion that it is. When people talk about 80smusic they dont mean the stuff you mention.

I mean the 80s saw horrific stadium rock bands dominate the hard rock genre- but it also saw Guns n Roses reverse that trend by making a genuinely great rock album. Followed by Aerosmith returning to form, the Black Crowes etc....but people remember Bon Jovi and Poison for the haircuts. They are more likely to think of Stock Aitken and Walterman than THe Stone Roses or The Wonder Stuff.

Every decade has some great music, some more than others. Its only silly people in media who like to castigate or celebrate an entire decade of music, usually based on some highly tenuous 'cultural critique' . The other day I read a piece from the Guardian saying that Britpop destroyed british music by being too english in its outlook and cultural references, becoming a cultural abomination that turned its back on british music's heritage of having an. International outlook. What total and utter *******s. As though The Smiths, just a few years before, werent horrifically english in their lyrics and outlook...as though Bowie, Syd Barrett, the Small Faces, Pink Floyd and Chas n Dave didnt do exactly the same.

It's the jacks for fúcks sake.

What do you wan to do, eat a fúcking sandwich in there.
    Only girls care about the toilets.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

It's the jacks for fúcks sake.

What do you wan to do, eat a fúcking sandwich in there.
    Normal expectation would be an ability to approach the urinal without being ankle deep in piss. an expectation generally met at every other venue, I might add. Even the old Marquee.

I am not saying its a deal breaker. Just, you know, dont put your dancing shoes on

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Only girls care about the toilets.
    THe girls toilets were better, actually. But not much

The 80s is often very unfairly maligned as a bad period for music and is terribly inaccurate, similar to how many people frown on the management of GG at Arsenal focusing only on the latter period and forgetting the brilliance of the earlier years.

The 80s had obviously The Jam and The Style Council but also bands such as The Smiths, Pixies, The Pogues, The Waterboys and then towards the end The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and the early days of The Wonder Stuff, PWEI and many others.
    Really? Who maligns the 80s music, exactly?

As a decade, it was miles better than the 70s (which is the worst decade for music EVER) and I can't even remember anything from the 90s it was so bland.

I assumed everyone recognized the 80s as one of the best decades ever for music.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    THe girls toilets were better, actually. But not much
    You need a comfortable cubicle to partake of a line or two.

Agreed - I listened to a lot of Chicago House in the 80's, top stuff. There was some decent stuff in the 80's, especially towards the end. Hip Hop and acid house broke through FFS

But to place The Smiths at the zenith of British music since the Beatles . . .
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Really? Who maligns the 80s music, exactly?

As a decade, it was miles better than the 70s (which is the worst decade for music EVER) and I can't even remember anything from the 90s it was so bland.

I assumed everyone recognized the 80s as one of the best decades ever for music.
    No, as Pedro has for once correctly pointed out it is often looked back on as bland, the decade that gave us Rick Astley and big hair.

The 90s you see as bland but had 3-4 years of so called Brit Pop when music was saved from death. Perhaps the death of the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    ... I can't even remember anything from the 90s it was so bland.
    Sampling? Brit pop? The fragmentation of dance music into countless genres?, Hip Hop becoming mainstream, etc, etc
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Agreed - I listened to a lot of Chicago House in the 80's, top stuff. There was some decent stuff in the 80's, especially towards the end. Hip Hop and acid house broke through FFS

But to place The Smiths at the zenith of British music since the Beatles . . .
    Well you see B has said this to try and illicit a response from me as you and I both can see that he has chosen to overlook The Jam.

Thankfully I am wise to his moves.