Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: That is a seriously **** team. Awful full backs, dreadful midfield and a useless

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I quite liked them
    You're a bit of a Camden / Highgate trendy though. I bet you used to hang out doing smack with Amy and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    The Theo Walcotts of pop?
    Maybe the Michael Owen. They were seriously ****ing good at first and got gradually worse as they went along.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Not sure tbh. They were for sure music media darlings around the time of their first album, headlined the NME stage at Glastonbury on the Friday night, criminally pushing Teenage Fanclub into the support slot.

Thing is the media moved on quickly, almost dropped them when Bernard Butler left.

The Libertines took drugs which was a massive part of their cool. Whatever talent they had was almost secondary.
    It was Melody Maker, dubbing them the Best New Band in Britain before they had released a sodding thing.

I saw Teenage Fanclub at the Garage in Highbury. Great fun...

I think the media moved on from Suede because they were focused on Oasis and Blur. That said, the first two albums are great and it is patchy from then on.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I liked bits of it. But then I also liked The Strokes. And Suede

And The Smiths, who seem to take a bashing here on a fairly regular basis.

As with all things, I seem to be a little out of step with the rest of Awimb.
    The Smiths were - quite simply - the best band these islands have produced since The Beatles. Only closet cases affect to dislike them.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The Smiths were - quite simply - the best band these islands have produced since The Beatles. Only closet cases affect to dislike them.
    The Smiths? they were very meh!

But different to most DX7 pressing 80's acts, I'll give you that.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

It was Melody Maker, dubbing them the Best New Band in Britain before they had released a sodding thing.

I saw Teenage Fanclub at the Garage in Highbury. Great fun...

I think the media moved on from Suede because they were focused on Oasis and Blur. That said, the first two albums are great and it is patchy from then on.
    Garage was a great venue. Fall out and roll home down the Holloway Road or Highbury Fields.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Garage was a great venue. Fall out and roll home down the Holloway Road or Highbury Fields.
    It had possibly the worst toilets I have seen. You were literallywading through piss. It was easier to just stand at the door and point.

But yes, a great venue. Teenage Fan Club were supported by the MAnic Street Preachers at one of their earliest gigs. I spilt the singer's pint after their set.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yeah, I am not sure I would go that far but they were in a league of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    The Smiths? they were very meh!

But different to most DX7 pressing 80's acts, I'll give you that.
    The 80s is often very unfairly maligned as a bad period for music and is terribly inaccurate, similar to how many people frown on the management of GG at Arsenal focusing only on the latter period and forgetting the brilliance of the earlier years.

The 80s had obviously The Jam and The Style Council but also bands such as The Smiths, Pixies, The Pogues, The Waterboys and then towards the end The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and the early days of The Wonder Stuff, PWEI and many others.

It had possibly the worst toilets I have seen. You were literallywading through piss. It was easier to just stand at the door and point.

But yes, a great venue. Teenage Fan Club were supported by the MAnic Street Preachers at one of their earliest gigs. I spilt the singer's pint after their set.
    It's the jacks for fúcks sake.

What do you want to do, eat a fúcking sandwich in there.
    Last edited by SWv2; 03-09-2018 at 11:41 AM.