Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In response to #Metoo, this year's Geneva Motor Show has replaced its "booth babes"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

In response to #Metoo, this year's Geneva Motor Show has replaced its "booth babes"

Do you believe in the supposed negative meaning of words like 'objectification' and 'titillation' that you used in the F1 grid girl discussion? Like many politically-loaded words, they are device to define the opposing position as reprehensible and unnacceptable imo.

Certainly there's an irony over the outrage of the showing of a bit of leg in a sport where, for the 'titillation' of millions, men (and women) risk death by driving a missile around an island, and while many of them are highly paid, there are dozens of marshals around the track who risk their lives for the sport but who are not paid a penny. As these are mainly fat ugly middle-aged blokes no-one cares about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post

Do you believe in the supposed negative meaning of words like 'objectification' and 'titillation' that you used in the F1 grid girl discussion? Like many politically-loaded words, they are device to define the opposing position as reprehensible and unnacceptable imo.

Certainly there's an irony over the outrage of the showing of a bit of leg in a sport where, for the 'titillation' of millions, men (and women) risk death by driving a missile around an island, and while many of them are highly paid, there are dozens of marshals around the track who risk their lives for the sport but who are not paid a penny. As these are mainly fat ugly middle-aged blokes no-one cares about them.
    Because sex is bad, a. The sexual attraction of men to young, nubile women is A BAD THING and must be stopped.

Aren't these the same sort of blokes who are abjectly mourning the loss of Maplins. Nerdy component geek types. Or do I have that wrong ?

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    Aren't these the same sort of blokes who are abjectly mourning the loss of Maplins. Nerdy component geek types. Or do I have that wrong ?
    Yep, they are the same. There's nothing wrong with that though. Some of my best friends are nerdy component geeks.

Yep, they are the same. There's nothing wrong with that though. Some of my best friends are nerdy component geeks.
    It's okay A. Just be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    It's okay A. Just be honest.

I've never been into hardware. Though my brother-in-law is and used to marshall at Mondello Park. Excellent fellow though. Likes a pint.

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    They are certainly politically loaded words but that doesn't mean they can't ever be used without a political agenda.

And what you call irony, others may call whataboutery.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    They are certainly politically loaded words but that doesn't mean they can't ever be used without a political agenda.

And what you call irony, others may call whataboutery.
    First, you responded to the wrong post.

Second, I have long opposed the use of the word 'whataboutery', by any side, as a way to shut down arguments that take an opposing view. It's just another magic word, like 'objectification' that is intended to shut people up.

Third, despite previous indocrination by puritanical feminism, I now simply reject its prudish hatred of sex, together with all of the bull**** vocabulary which is used to bolster that position. You should too, my friend.

First, you responded to the wrong post.

Second, I have long opposed the use of the word 'whataboutery', by any side, as a way to shut down arguments that take an opposing view. It's just another magic word, like 'objectification' that is intended to shut people up.

Third, despite previous indocrination by puritanical feminism, I now simply reject its prudish hatred of sex, together with all of the bull**** vocabulary which is used to bolster that position. You should too, my friend.
    I don't think they hate sex, just sex without consequences.

Which is ironic really.

Or whataboutery, I suppose
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."