Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: This time 20 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    A bit unlucky with some decisions that day. A couple of soft pens/free kicks? and Barton provoking our lad then simulating hysterically to get him sent off.
    Some dodgy reffing in that game, definitely.

Not as dodgy as in this one, though...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    A bit unlucky with some decisions that day. A couple of soft pens/free kicks? and Barton provoking our lad then simulating hysterically to get him sent off.

That was the day my washing machine was delivered.
    The refereeing in that game was utterly inexcusable. He started as soon as we went 4-0 up. Starting giving them everything and letting everything they did go. There was an appalling challenge on Arshavin, right through the back of him- he didnt even give the foul and then gave a foul against Diaby a second later.

THe sending off was a joke- Barton's challenge was at least a yellow and I think his third of the game, Diaby was sent off for doing far less than Nolan did in response to it. When does retaliation end?

THe second penalty was ludicrous and the actions of Nolan and Barton on our keeper in retrieving the ball should have been another yellow or red each. Again unpunished.

What a ****ing ****.

That said, it was pathetic from us.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Thanks, P. I had actually managed to block that one out...
    It sticks in the mind because the game was utterly, utterly dead. We were pushing the ball around on our half way line, spurs were not even chasing it- they had given up. When we gifted it to them it was almost as though the spurs players were thinking 'oh for ****s sake, if you insist'......

I like the catastrophic sequence of events that almost led to Hull equalising in the cup final. Quite hilarious how quickly we can create chaos from a completely innocuous situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    It might sound unfair, but I am going to say it anyway.... that side should have won more than the two titles in 02 and 04. Even at his peak Wenger's sides had weaknesses. Even with a side as good as that. Our defending dipped a level in the season after both of those title wins. Complacency......

But we were devastating going forward that opposing team were almost frightened into submission. Team were more concerned about what we could do to them so they didn't attack our weaknesses.

We don't play good football now and our weaknesses are easier to exploit. We also have more weaknesses.
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Thanks, P. I had actually managed to block that one out...

Still.....remembering Spurs 3-0 up at home to 10 man Man City and losing 4-3 in the FA Cup. Now that was funny!
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    It might sound unfair, but I am going to say it anyway.... that side should have won more than the two titles in 02 and 04. Even at his peak Wenger's sides had weaknesses. Even with a side as good as that. Our defending dipped a level in the season after both of those title wins. Complacency......
    I'm not sure "complacency" is quite fair. We were a good side and won trophies but nobody, least of all us supporters, demanded or expected us to be title-winning machines the way Liverpool and then Manchester United were.

We weren't greedy; we were happy and content with what we'd won, and this was true even under George Graham.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."