Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All this bóllocks about AI being dangerous

All this bóllocks about AI being dangerous

and potentially wiping out humanity. Surely this presupposes that when we develop AI we give it access to arms, legs and thermonuclear weapons? I mean, if we're shrewd, surely we just make is as a series of 1s and 0s inside a laptop, or something. What's a laptop going to do, leap into the air and smash you round the face? No, like all computer geeks, it's going to sit in its mum's house touching its winkle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    and potentially wiping out humanity. Surely this presupposes that when we develop AI we give it access to arms, legs and thermonuclear weapons? I mean, if we're shrewd, surely we just make is as a series of 1s and 0s inside a laptop, or something. What's a laptop going to do, leap into the air and smash you round the face? No, like all computer geeks, it's going to sit in its mum's house touching its winkle.
    Shirley us humans would build the AI with a backdoor, that can be used to break it? [insert your mum gag here]
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

It's an arms race. The threats are not purely existential - they are also political, economic, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    It's an arms race. The threats are not purely existential - they are also political, economic, etc.
    That's wehat I said, the fúcker's got no arms.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Shirley us humans would build the AI with a backdoor, that can be used to break it? [insert your mum gag here]
    Yes, I mean if the ******* got a bit uppity we could, you know, pull the plug out of the wall.

Yes, I mean if the ******* got a bit uppity we could, you know, pull the plug out of the wall.
    You are talking about machines that can produce the equivalent of 20,000 years of human progress in the space of a week.

What you are saying is the equivalent of someone at the genesis of the World Wide Web scoffing at the idea of cyberterrorism.

You are talking about machines that can produce the equivalent of 20,000 years of human progress in the space of a week.

What you are saying is the equivalent of someone at the genesis of the World Wide Web scoffing at the idea of cyberterrorism.
    I still scoff at the idea of cyberterrorism. Exploding yourself in a shopping mall is terrorism. Creating a virus which makes your Apple watch show the wrong time isn't terrorism.

I still scoff at the idea of cyberterrorism. Exploding yourself in a shopping mall is terrorism. Creating a virus which makes your Apple watch show the wrong time isn't terrorism.
    But the Ruskies made Brexit and Trump happen by posting mean things about Allans on Twitter, dontcha know.

But the Ruskies made Brexit and Trump happen by posting mean things about Allans on Twitter, dontcha know.
    There you go. So it is a load of old wánk.

There you go. So it is a load of old wánk.
    You won't be saying that when you rock up at Barrafina and get told the kitchen's closed because some **** in his bedroom in Shanghai has turned off London's electricity grid.