Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PhilosophyWIMB: How omnipotent is your deity?

Half a feckin metre forecast for Devon and a red warning for Scotland and only

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    You should get some today and there's every possibility that tomorrow and Friday will give us apocalyptic snow. Oh yes.
    the merest dusting for me. Why am I being punished for your blasphemies

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Whereabouts are you, i? Much of London is about to get dumped on.
    It's happening.

AI will soon enough be capable of performing

data processing tasks of similar profundity

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Never mind counting the grains of sand in a desert, or trivial stuff like that. Can He empirically verify that every snow crystal is different, as per the theory? Much harder job that one.

I have a feeling this will get as many comments as my post about snooker.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    AI will soon enough be capable of performing
    An AI can't even process a kangaroo jumping around when it's trying to drive a car, let alone calculate, design, store and compare infinity to the power of infinity. You need a new hobby imo. Watching 22 blokes chase a pig bladder round a field, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I think the point is that any sensible deity doesn't bother with things like snow and sand. My deity operates in a different paradigm altogether, that's how you reconcile it, you see.
    Yes, I imagine that your deity is known in some quarters as Blowhard, the god of Smug.

But it means comparing every single snow crystal in the history of time and space with every other crystal. That's a lot of computational power, man. Something with that much zing should have worked out a way for his favoured beings to export their depleted energy-and-nutrition source matter without leaving dingleberries around their bumhole.
    Seems to me you’ve failed to take ineffability into account, a. For a puny animal like you to attempt to comprehend God’s actions or reasoning is like a woodlouse trying to make sense of a particle physicist. It’s impossible because the mind of God is ineffable.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    When? Thus far, AI has managed to achieve approximately the intellect of a cockroach.

Never mind counting the grains of sand in a desert, or trivial stuff like that. Can He empirically verify that every snow crystal is different, as per the theory? Much harder job that one.

I have a feeling this will get as many comments as my post about snooker.

Deity's are a figment of one's imagination, aren't they? I guess that would mean that they are as omnipotent as one's imagination might want them to be?
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Seems to me you’ve failed to take ineffability into account, a. For a puny animal like you to attempt to comprehend God’s actions or reasoning is like a woodlouse trying to make sense of a particle physicist. It’s impossible because the mind of God is ineffable.
    Ineffability is just one of the magic words in the theist's Toolbox of Cheating:

"Don't give me logic, it doesn't count because your reason is invalid because God."
    So how do you 'know' he's ineffable, eh? Oh yeah, because you said so and your mind is just as feeble as mine.
    "Because he is God, who is by definition all the things I want him to be".
    Circular logic, another favourite.

You'll be coming at me with transubstantiation next.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    When? Thus far, AI has managed to achieve approximately the intellect of a cockroach.
    It's at moments like this that he really embarrasses himself.