Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Channel 4's disgraceful 'expose' on university spending last night was a one-sided

Channel 4's disgraceful 'expose' on university spending last night was a one-sided

And rather idiotic attack on one of the UK's most successful export industries.

Criticising Vice Chancellors and senior management for spending money on overseas trips is completely unfair and ignores key aspects of their strategic role.

****ing tossers.

That said, staying in the Mandarin Oriental in Singapore is taking the piss a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post

Criticising Vice Chancellors and senior management for spending money on overseas trips is completely unfair and ignores key aspects of their strategic role.

****ing tossers.

That said, staying in the Mandarin Oriental in Singapore is taking the piss a bit.
    It takes two to quango, P
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

****ing tossers.

Yes, but once you become customer-facing operations and started hoovering up those sweet, sweet tuition fees from hard-working parents, you’ve got to expect a bit of scrutiny on how they get spent. It was much easier to hide when the money came from government via grant.

****ing tossers.

The MO? In Sinkapoops? Are you quite sure? Raffles is currently closed for refurbishment, I suppose. Was it filmed very recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes, but once you become customer-facing operations and started hoovering up those sweet, sweet tuition fees from hard-working parents, you’ve got to expect a bit of scrutiny on how they get spent. It was much easier to hide when the money came from government via grant.
    The point is that the sweet tuition fees from hard-working parents DOESNT get spent on that. THe overseas work is a commercial venture that generates considerable income. You may spend 100 grand a year on visits to a partner but that partnership generates 1.5 million a year in fees. Almost all of that 1.5 million gets reinvested on campus so this activity actually adds funds what you do on campus.

Obviously, if you can prove it doesn't make any money and Vice Chancellors are simply pissing that up the wall for a jolly, by all means attack them.

The rather nasty attack on someone for spending 400 quid on a meal in New York was horribly unfair. There were three of us there and I refused to go into two far more expensive restaurants.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    The MO? In Sinkapoops? Are you quite sure? Raffles is currently closed for refurbishment, I suppose. Was it filmed very recently?
    THat is what they said. I use the Intercontinental myself. The Shangri-La is just too expensive.

THat is what they said. I use the Intercontinental myself. The Shangri-La is just too expensive.
    Good Lord. The rules are simple, p. The Mandarin in Honkers, Oriental in Bankers, Raffles in Sinkapoops.

Given your penchant for 'equality' (whatever that means) I'm surprised you don't choose to mix with the peasants at Marina Bay...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Good Lord. The rules are simple, p. The Mandarin in Honkers, Oriental in Bankers, Raffles in Sinkapoops.

Given your penchant for 'equality' (whatever that means) I'm surprised you don't choose to mix with the peasants at Marina Bay...
    Raffles is ludicrously expensive and we would never stay there. THe E&O in Penang is reasonably priced and we always stay there. THe rules are simple, we dont take the piss. If you dont take the piss with flights and hotels you cant really take the piss on the drink....

In KL I negotiated us a corporate rate that works out at just above 100 quid a night which is a superb deal for such a great hotel.

The rather nasty attack on someone for spending 400 quid on a meal in New York was horribly unfair. There were three of us there and I refused to go into two far more expensive restaurants.....
    So now we know while you endure your job and being frogmarched about the place by jack-booted PC fascists.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    So now we know while you endure your job and being frogmarched about the place by jack-booted PC fascists.
    Most of my trips are bloody hard work and not a lot of fun. Economy flights, irritating partners, moaning colleagues.

The New York trip was a blast from day one and the only one I have genuinely enjoyed (perhaps apart from the trip to Malaysia which began with our cup final win over Hull).