Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mustafi was ****ing diabolical on that first goal. Chambers got done in exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    The same way as the other night against Östersund for the third. Not even sure why he set up to play on the counter when he had a back 5 and no wingers.

JUST LEAVE!!!!

I don't mind losing games if the players on the pitch have given it their all and done everything possible. I do have a problem when players, to quote George Graham once upon a time, "accept defeat easily". This is yet another example (spectacular, even) in a long string of performances where that quote can be applied.
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Mustafi had his eye on the ball and did not once appear to look, did you expect Aguero to simply step aside and allow him safe passage?

C’mon now, not even Wenger clutched at that straw.

It was utterly abysmal defending by the German.

I am now simply going to accept you are being obtuse and argumentative and bid you a good day.
    So you're saying that Aguero didn't push him in the back? It certainly looked that way to me. Perhaps I imagined it.

Stating the truth is not being obtuse, my dear fellow. Failing to mindlessly engage with the 'Mustafi is rubbish and the incident looked embarrassing therefore it must have been Mustafi's fault' isn't argumentative.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    He pushed him in the back. That's a foul.
    Sorry, sc. That is never, ever a foul.

What it was, was worse than school-boy defending.

Edit - just rewatched, Aguero didn't push Mustafi, he stood his ground.
    3m 11s https://www.arsenal.com/news/carabao...al-match-video
    Last edited by IUFG; 02-26-2018 at 09:25 AM.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Mustafi placed himself under the flight of the ball. Aguero ran 5 yards beyond the flight of the ball, then ran back and pushed Mustafi out of the way as he was about to head the ball clear.

I'm interested in what you think Mustafi should have done. Given the opportunity to stand and head the ball away, are you suggesting he should ignore the ball and follow Aguero?
    He should have been well inside his own half with everything in front of him. Then he would have known where Aguero was and he would’ve been running on to the ball trying to header it instead of backpedaling from the halfway line. That also would’ve made it possible for him to do what Aguero did when they were both challenging for it. It was poor positioning that lead to the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Sorry, sc. That is never, ever a foul.

What it was, was worse than school-boy defending.
    A push in the back isn't a foul? Is this some sort of collective delusion? I don't understand the reasoning here. If you push an opponent in the back, it's a foul. Where is the ambiguity here?

Where is the ambiguity here?
    Aguero stood his ground. Nothing wrong with that...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

So you're saying that Aguero didn't push him in the back? It certainly looked that way to me. Perhaps I imagined it.

Stating the truth is not being obtuse, my dear fellow. Failing to mindlessly engage with the 'Mustafi is rubbish and the incident looked embarrassing therefore it must have been Mustafi's fault' isn't argumentative.
    Mustafi's alright but Kun's done him there, that's all. Perfectly legitimate.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    He should have been well inside his own half with everything in front of him. Then he would have known where Aguero was and he would’ve been running on to the ball trying to header it instead of backpedaling from the halfway line. That also would’ve made it possible for him to do what Aguero did when they were both challenging for it. It was poor positioning that lead to the goal.
    Well he was in the correct position to head the ball clear, which is his primary concern. Aguero took that position from him, not by going shoulder to shoulder or by challenging him for the ball, but by pushing him in the back. Have I been hallucinating, or something?

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Aguero stood his ground. Nothing wrong with that...
    Correct. Nothing wrong with that.

The bit where he pushed him in the back. Anything wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Mustafi's alright but Kun's done him there, that's all. Perfectly legitimate.
    It's legitimate to push a player in the back?